Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1979 Renault 5 tl steering wheel change

gorde1944

Hi I have recently acquired an mk1 renault 5 tl for restoration to turn into a rear-engined conversion and have started to collect parts etc
i would like to change the steering wheel for a aftermarket mountney hub but cannot find anything any fitment guide or part number,
gordini steering wheels are far too expensive now lol

What diameter wheel are you going for? For my TX with the standard 15 inch wheel I needed to add a spacer behind the steering wheel to make some room for my legs.

My Gordini came with an aftermarket Intersport wheel. It's a bit small at 13 inches outside diameter but it does clear the legs without a spacer but makes the steering too heavy. Worth getting a 15 inch wheel and make sure the boss is quite dished. My TX with the spacer measures 3.75 inches from the nut base to the outside face of the rim.

1679558732486.png

Thanks for the reply, I already have a classic mountney 15in wheel which is flat type, my main question is a suitable boss to fit,
nothing is listed for my year only 81 onwards inc Gordini,turbo, Renault 30 etc which is a momo type of boss, etc

Any Boss suitable for a Renault will fit, they used the same splines all the way through their range good luck

Hi yes I found a boss that fits my car which is a momo type so i can run a retro raid or momo wheel

Back