Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

2001, scenic rear damper

lockster0191

hi all
i own a renault scenic 2001. i have had problem with rear damper snapping
thing is i changed 1 time but the new damper just rattled.
so now on my second swap now rattle has gone but thing is with both new dampers they have not been anywhere as good as the original was.
i can feel while driving drivers side damper (original) seems to soak up bumps no problem
but passenger side which was replaced seems to just bounce as if shock not working to any effect
my question is the rear torsion bars in suspension, could something have happened to the passenger side one,
is there a way i can test.
i seem to have lost confidence in the side which i have replaced
thanks for any help recieved

A damper snapping seems odd. But I've found a big difference between aftermarket dampers and original Renault dampers. My Clio has Munroe dampers at the rear and I don't like them.

Normally the dampers are replaced on both sides at the same time. Then you don't notice the difference between them so much. Do you know the manufacturer of the new damper? It is unlikely to be due to any other suspension failure, most likely just a really nasty replacement damper.

hi Lockstar.
I have seen them snap before on the top side near the chassias at the smallest part...usualy rust does it. Did you work the shocker in and out before you fitted it..Found this to help before

Scenics and meganes do snap the shock absorbers at the top - wont say it happens every day but it's a common enough problem.
We've never had any problems with the shocks we fit, but we always get 'OE quality' usually from euro car parts. Do not fit really cheap parts to suspension items'.
As renault4mad said hold the shock upright and work it from fully compressed to fully extended a few times.
It is very rare to get torsion spring problems on these cars, my Scenic dci has now got 197,000 miles on it with no problems.

Back