Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

6.35 mm bolts please !

Snoopy1974

Enthusiast
Hi everybody,

as you can see, I started the restoration of my 87 GTL 2 years ago; to prevent the rust, I decided to make the inner wings, and the front wings in fiberglass, you can see that in my thread here:
http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3140

But today I have a problem: the genuine bolts of the wings are shorter to fit correctly with my inner and front wings, due to the thickness of the fiberglass compared to the steel parts...

These bolts are 6.35 mm diameter (1/4"), 10 mm head, about 16 mm long, and they have, as you certainly know, a special pitch... In France, it's absolutly impossible to find what I need, in Great Britain, does exist the same bolts but longer than the old ones ? I would need about 25 mm long.

If anybody can help me... thanks you ;)

It is not necessary to use exactly the same square thread. They fit in single thread clips on the inner wings, so any sheet metal screw of sufficient diameter (either 1/4" or 6mm) can be used. Ask for the 10mm hexagonal head one and you will get the right diameter.

Fibreglass inner wings?

Hi Snoopy,
did you make the inner wings out of the fiberglass succesfully? How did you make the negative form? Did you copy the old wing by fibreglass? And how thick is your new wing of fibreglass? I think about the fibreglass job too, but I should be very expansive, it isn´t?
Greetings from sunny Prague :smile:
Pavel

;) Hi Pavel,

this is not an expensive job, because I know the man who sells me the different products I need, but it's a very long, dirty, hard, and boring job, sorry :shock: :shock: :shock:

Here are the pictures of the job for the front wings:
185 Cirage aile avant.jpg
186 Moulage moitié 1.jpg
187 Préparation moitié 2.jpg
188 Moulage  moitié 2.jpg
189 Moule 1 sur 2.jpg
190 Moule 2 sur 2.jpg
193 Vue intérieure.jpg
194 Vue extérieure.jpg

The job for the inner wings is simpler because there is only one mould per side, but it's dirty too :mad:

The thickness of the parts is about 3/4 mm.

• 459 Joues d'ailes fixées.jpg
    459 Joues d'ailes fixées.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 463 Compartiment moteur.jpg
    463 Compartiment moteur.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 142
Fibreglass inner wings?

Wow, it´s an amazing job, have you any pictures, when you made the inner wing mould? My metal inner wings are very poor, so I would like try copy them by fibreglass as well. However, I should smooth their surface firstly and it can by more difficult job as the laminating.
How fit the parts, when the fibreglass is much thicker, than the 0,5 mm metal sheet? Is there a problem? :confused:
Many thansk Pavel

:D Even the parts are 3/4 mm thickness, they fit without any problem on the car, and between themselves. My inner wings were also totally rusted and impossible to repair, so I filled them the best I can before making the moulds around them:
409 Joue d'aile G mastiquée.jpg
411 Joue d'aile D mastiquée.jpg
414 Joues d'ailes peintes.jpg
Wax coated:
415 Joue d'aile D cirée.jpg
Gel coat applied:
416 Couche Gel coat.jpg
Exterior view of the mould:
417 Ext moule n°1.jpg
Internal view of the mould:
418 Int moule n°1.jpg
After wax coated the mould, applying the gel coat:
437 Gel coat sur moules.jpg
When the gel coat is dried, resin and fiberglass:
441 Pièce terminée.jpg

Fibreglass inner wings?

That´s a great job, Snoopy. My inner wings are in very poor condition, lot of rust holes and old patches, so I try made the new ones of fibreglass. Many thanks for the pictures.

Pavel :)

Back