Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

850/ 5 speed??

ade

Enthusiast
having driven my '67 850 quite a bit lately, it seems to me it really could benefit from a 5 speed box....anyone done this?...ade

I believe you have 2 major problems with this, the five speed box has the same first and top gears as the 4 speed, just closer ratios. Furthermore, the five speed boxes you could bolt on are made for the 1108 motor and so go the wrong way round, ie you get five reverse gears.

At least, this is what I was told when enquiring about the same thing a while back and I've seen no evidence to the contrary

5 close gears are worth more on the 850 than on the torquey 1108...

This may be pure theory (too expensive to do in real life), the only way to go would either make a custom left hand turning crownwheel/pinion/secondary shaft, or cut the pinion from an 850 secondary shaft and weld it to the 5 speed box secondary shaft (and also use the 850 crownwheel).

There is the "Ventoux" 845cc engine turning always anti-clockwise (the familiar three-bearing R4 engine), and a Spanish built 852cc "Cleon" engine that turns clockwise (as any Cleon engine).

Speaking of 845 engines and gearboxes, by reading the PR1104 more carefully, I noticed that the last 845cc engines ('84 to '86) were mated to a gearbox (HA0-164 and 166) with a 3,778:1 final ratio instead of the usual 4,125:1. Is anybody here lucky enough to have this gearbox, to tell us how does it compare to earlier gearboxes?

Yes, that's it, along with water heated inlet manifold and vacuum advance unit on the distributor...and they should have that gearbox, too.

I've got two of these setups, one mounted, one waiting for a rebuild. It's faster than a friend's stock 1108 (36 bhp reputedly) when unladen and will sit at 130kph on a flat motorway (with earplugs in.) I use mine for towing as I'm renovating a house down a very narrow street, it lugs 600kg of sand up the steep hill until the points start to go. I didn't realise the gearbox had different ratios to earlier models, perhaps Simon and I should try to compare one day, though I suspect the engine makes more difference than the gears.

The one awaiting a rebuild will receive a 1976 tl cam as Angel tells me these are supposed to be a bit hotter, hoping to hit the heady heights of 40bhp. Triple titanium valve springs and weber throttle bodies may have to wait though.

Carbs but no manifold

Dave, I've got a nice set of carbs for you but no manifold , perhaps someone could knock something up !

I'm sure you'd get 40bhp from these ......

• DSC00468.jpg
    DSC00468.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 52
What are those cheeky little chaps from? I'm sure a plate could be made to go twixt manifold and carb, vac advance dizzy, '76 cam, light head skim..............

Back