Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

92 Clan 1100 Rear height adjustment

Barney54

Hi all! Just completed a 2 week, 3500km trip in my lovely 92 '4'. She's carrying some weight in the pic, but is definately low at the back. I'd like to get it so that the rear arch is at the top of the Tyre. Consulted the Haynes Manual, dimensions are there, but no detail how to adjust in situ. I'd like to raise both sides by around 30mm. Seen all sorts of stuff about how difficult the bars are to remove, they seize in the arms etc. Is there an illustrated guide on here? Thanks in advance, Paul. The Car never missed a beat, down through the Pyranees and on big climbs in 40C plus, Andalucia. Superb!

20230802_090305.jpg

First of all make a tool as listed on the Haynes manual.
Given the fact that the car is not that old, the bars may not be that hard to remove. Follow Haynes' instructions on this: remove the shock absorbers, let the suspension arm free and tap the bars out. Hint: for initial freeing of the bar, hit it from the outer arm mounting inwards until it moves, then drive it out the opposite way.
You have to fit the bars once, noting the tool length Y, measure the ride height, then correct it to desired setting by altering tool length by desired height difference divided by 3.5.
Example: bar fitted at 280mm tool length, ride height measured to be 35 mm too low. Remove the bar, set tool length to 35/3.5=10mm shorter (270mm), and at this arm position reinstall torsion bar. Note that, because rear dampers work in reverse, in order to increase ride height you have to decrease tool length, and vice versa.

Thank you Angel, excellent info. No doubt there will be further questions in the future, great forum!

Back