Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

And another new member!

Tim.d

Enthusiast
Hi, Tim here; red R4 F6 owner in south east London, already made use of your great and informative site thankyou! My van has just passed its MOT yippeeee! but won't pass emissions test next year so like alot of people looking for new engine, 1.4, gordini etc.
Also anybody out there with van spares!!?? rear bumper, rear door etc.
Teraah for now Tim.:smile:

I agree - it's unusual for a R4 to fail emissions (the engines last forever). And they only record the emissions at idle so it should be possible to get past most woes by screwing the mixture screw in half a turn.

If you really want a rare and desireable 1.4 engine I might be putting one on eBay fairly soon. Keep your eyes peeled on the forum - I'm sure it'll get a mention here.

RE:emissions

I checked with Derick at Renospeed, who took it through its MOT last year and he said its the hydrocarbon emissions!
Anyway, i shall be watching closely for the 1.4! A bit more power never goes amiss!! I will definantly be interested so you can contact me directly if and when it becomes available; donnetim@tiscali.co.uk
thanks for the comments
cheers Tim.d

You can often get around hydrocarbon emissions by weakening off the mixture, although that increases CO emissions. If the MOT tester is friendly he'll let you fiddle until it passes. Even if the engine is worn and it's oil being burned it's possible to get through the test by blocking off the breather holes in the carb and piping the crankcase vent to fresh air.

However a 1.4 should be fun in a R4 (still haven't got around to making one, but a Gordini engined car is 2 projects along the queue). I'll try to remember to email you when the engine comes up. Probably in a month or so when we have a proper garage tidy up.

Here they check that every hose is connected and in place. With an electronic ignition and a strong Coil, emissions have never been an issue for us since the test was introduced here some 10 years ago.
Well, because of the altitude (2600m), we set the timing a little bit ahead, sometimes we have to set it a little bit back for the test.

Back