Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Any tricks to replacing driveshaft - gearbox oil seals?

Geoff in the Gully

Getting it together
My girl Lucille has started leaking gearbox juice from where the drive shaft joins the gear box. I reckon the oil seals in the gear box there have retired from active duty, so I'm looking to replace them.

My local bearing and oil seal shop has been able to source replacements for any where I've given him a sample so I'm not worried about getting some. But the manuals are abnormally silent about this oil seal. Only one of my three mentions it at all and all it says is 'Remove worn oil seal / Fit new oil seal'!

Inspired (hopeful?) reading of the cutaway diagram suggests that oil seal is fitted into the inside of the the side cover.

Does anyone have any tips or 'watch out for's on this task or is it in fact as straight-forward as it seems? It would be a novelty if it was. . .

Lucy is a '64 with a 328 gearbox.

Cheers, Geoff

As far as I can remember they are straight forward to take out and replace, I could be wrong but I believe that after you withdraw the drive shaft you screw off a retainer clip remove the seal and replace it, then replace the retainer clip and drive shaft.
billy

They are easier to replace than the later gearboxes, and the job can be done in situ. Be careful not to mix the diff bearing preload shims.
Apart from the seals you will also need the two gaskets between the round covers and the gearbox. These can be fabricated but try to obtailn material with the same thickness as the original gasket, so that bearing preload setting will not be lost.
A good oil resistant gasket compound must be used there, to minimize the chance of future oil leaks.

Thanks Guys, I was hoping that would be the answer. Angel, I don't suppose you know the thickness of the gasket? I was thinking of making my own as they're just a simple circle.

On any 334 gearbox I have repaired, it was 0,3mm. No reason to be different on your 328. You can measure the old one, if it's still alive.

Thread resurection!!

Which gearbox is in an 84 GTL

Can I source all the oil seals from a bearing factor?

Thanks in advance, Mark

It is probably HA0 gearbox and you can try to find oil seals from your local Renault dealer.

I have done the same and it was not so big money issue

Yes, you can, size is 36 x 54 x 8. Try to find Viton or silicone ones, preferably double lipped.

Back