Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Argh! Drive shaft!

alewis

Enthusiast
Solved !!! - Argh! Drive shaft!

I've been doing odd jobs on the R4 I just purchased and noticed something amiss!

The Drivers side outer gaiter is just plain missing with the grease long since vanished ! And the passenger side one is not attached at all (Tho less worried about that as its still got grease in it)!

Amazed it wasn't picked up at the MoT it just had!

I am ok at changing gaiters but looking at it, my thoughts are its beyond that and I need a replacement drive shaft. (There is some play in the shaft)
Does anyone have a spare drive shaft (its the early type) ?

I'm not missing something obvious am I, that is the joint and really should have a gaiter on it shouldn't it?

Finally got it insured on Thursday and now it looks like I wont be able to drive it for a while yet :(
Regards,
Andrew

• Copy of IMG_3164.jpg
    Copy of IMG_3164.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 282
  • Copy of IMG_3166.jpg
    Copy of IMG_3166.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 279
  • Copy of IMG_3172.jpg
    Copy of IMG_3172.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
The shaft in the first picture looks normal. It is a universal joint not a CV joint and was never enclosed by any more of a boot than you see in the picture.

The second type could be anything - the boot doesn't look like it was designed to go over whatever is under there, or it's not sitting properly. Might be worth pulling it back to see if it is also a universal joint.

I do have spare driveshafts like the first one, but they might be a little rusty. Worth checking yours first.

Arh! Interesting, the other one is a different design and looks ok underneath.

Thanks for the info, am a bit worried about the play in the shaft tho.

Many thanks for the info.
Regards,
Andrew

I didn't think there was any problem with the gaitors or the mot tester would have picked it up. It is just because its the early type. Problem solved and panic over.

This is only a dust gaiter fitted on some R4 versions only, these double crosspin UJs had been designed to work in open air.
Rather rare to see such a driveshaft...most of them have been replaced with the "conventional" type.
If you feel some play at the wheel end, listen for noises when you drive with the wheels turned, and if you notice something abnormal better replace the driveshaft, as your driveshaft may quickly end up like this...

• 100_2486.jpg
    100_2486.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 234
Ouch, that looks nasty, I'm thinking it might be worth getting a spare drive shaft just in case. I feel silly not realising what type it was !

That's easy. Can you recognise gearbox type? (a photo will be OK)

Nope, will get a photo later today. Though for a start it has the ends with roll pins and a bit for the starting handle.

Back