Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Ashtray mod for gauges.

Like that.. Engine wise for the Temp gauge how/where are you connecting to?

Like that.. Engine wise for the Temp gauge how/where are you connecting to?
Hello Al,
Thanks, I think it is a good idea on R4's. The kit comes with a new temperature sensor, although with the wrong thread on it for R4's so I had to find/make a thread adaptor from my box of bits. It fits in a factory made plug hole in the water pump near the thermostat.

Hi! -Take off blanking-plate at cyl 4 (rearmost) -drill hole in it and tread to fit your sensor. advantage by this placement is you pick up temp where it is highest so most correct..-Reid
Well, I decided to relocate the sensor to the rear blanking plate today as you have suggested, and it's a good idea. The only problem I had is that one of the 10mm bolts (bottom Right-hand in the photo) was totally seized up, and of course sheered off flush in the cylinder head ! So I am going to buy a small 90 degree tight fit hex bit drill adapter to try and attempt to drill out the bolt and re-tap the thread. Rather than remove the cylinder head. I have been using a mirror to see what is going on behind. Great fun eh ?
20240421_161527.jpg20240421_173134.jpg

Oupps-Sorry to hear that.. Hope you get it fixed. Remember to stuff in a rag or someth so as not to get metalparticles in there..
while you're at it replace all bolts with proper lenghts of treaded pins-then use nut and washer on outside so next time you will
have No problem..screw in pins using counternut/nut a dab of thread-lock on the ends to keep them stuck.
I've done this on my water pump bolts as I'm known for breaking bolts & insane swearing-Reid

Oupps-Sorry to hear that.. Hope you get it fixed. Remember to stuff in a rag or someth so as not to get metalparticles in there..
while you're at it replace all bolts with proper lenghts of treaded pins-then use nut and washer on outside so next time you will
have No problem..screw in pins using counternut/nut a dab of thread-lock on the ends to keep them stuck.
I've done this on my water pump bolts as I'm known for breaking bolts & insane swearing-Reid
Well I managed to eventually drill out the broken stud, it was a fiddly job and I did swear a few times ! I also fitted studs/nuts instead of bolts like you suggested. Yes, you have to be so careful not to over tighten all these small 8/10/11mm bolts on R4's ! Cheers ! Kevin

Last edited:
Back