Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Barbara the 2CV WLTM a Renault 4 for friendship and fun

Chris Litchfield

Enthusiast
Hello!

What a fantastic website! Great technical information which is presented in an easy to understand and humorous way. I last owned a Renault 4 a few years ago, but was not aware of much of an active following for the car at the time.

I am also a big enthusiast of A series Citroens and am the proud owner of Barbara the 2CV6 (picture attached for anyone who is interested.) I also own a Clio. Barbara gets a bit lonely, being the only character car in the car park, so I have decided to part company with the Clio and replace it with a 4.

I am on the lookout for an honest, solid and pretty car (preferably something low mileage with sound mechanics.) My first choice would be a late RHD GTL. I would be looking to use the car all year round, so I want one that is rust free. If anyone knows of a really good car for sale, please get in touch. I would be able to provide a good home and promise that Barbara would be nice to him/her.

As a second choice, I have been looking at the cars available on the Wind Classics website and I like to the look of a late TL (956cc.) Does anyone have any experience of this model? How does it drive? Is the 956cc a good engine? Are parts easy to obtain in the UK? Also, does anyone have any experience of Wind Classics? Do they speak any English?

I hope that someone out there can give me some advice or point me in the direction of my dream 4...

Cheers

Chris

• Babs.jpg
    Babs.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 146
Hello Chris, isn't Barbara beautiful! Good choice to think about an R4. There have been some good ones advertised on the forum lately. If it weren't for Mr B I would have had about six by now.

I am lucky enough to have Blanche, a 1990 TL with a 956cc engine. As far as I can see, all the parts are the same as for the GTLs with the 1108cc engines. We just go to our local Renault dealer or the motor factor and have had no trouble getting parts.

Clementine drove Blanche when we first bought her and thought an 1108cc engine would be better, but we've tinkered with her since and she seems to cope very well. We'll put her through her paces when we go on a trip to deepest France next week.

• 2007_0525claude0036.jpg
    2007_0525claude0036.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 144
  • 2007_0525claude0034.jpg
    2007_0525claude0034.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 148
Hello Bluebell

Blanche looks very lovely. How long have you owned her? Did you buy her in the UK already registed, or did you import her? Barbara and I have just returned from France this week. We went to the 2CV French National meeting, which was good fun, although a little wet. We covered 1300 miles in 7 days. Saw lots of lovely Renault 4's pottering around.

I am quite tempted to buy a late LHD TL. I think they look really nice without the grey plastic panels down the sides. There is a really nice pale beige one and smart white one advertised for sale with Wind Classics.

Has anyone had any experience of dealing with Wind Classics? What are they like?

Looked at Windclassics and there are two Savanes like Blanche. The Clan is the upmarket version. But they seem like a lot of euros. I've only had Blanche since February and I bought her from a chap in Glasgow who had lived in France and imported her a couple of years ago. She was £450 but she'll need a bit of welding although she got through her MoT OK. I'm sure if you keep an eye on the forum and eBay something nice will come up.

Thanks for the advice Bluebell. What sort of mileage/use had Blanche had and what welding are you expecting on her? The Wind Classics cars look like they are very low mileage original cars with body and chassis in perfect condition. I checked Clementine's price guide and going by that, the prices seem quite fair (apart from the fact that they are left hand drive, so 30% should be deducted I suppose.)

As you say, I probably need to sit and wait to see what comes up for sale on the forum. Did that lovely low mileage red GTL sell? Anyone know what it was like and if it sold, how much for? I am particularly fond of Danube blue, if anyone has one that they are thinking of selling?...

I used to have a GTL and remember that its top speed was about 80 mph, although it was at its happiest cruising around 65 mph. What is the 956cc engine like in that respect?

Hi Chris, yes, you're right, the Wind Classics cars do look very nice. And presumably you'd get some sort of warranty?
Blanche has done 150,000km (94,000 miles). But Clementine says the engines last forever. I asked Mr B about the welding and he said it's the usual place they all go in the rear chassis/suspension area. I'll be able to tell you in three weeks how she performs on the open roads of France. Here in sunny Leeds life goes at such a leisurely pace that she has never needed to exert herself :cool: .

I think there is a 2 month warranty with some of the cars, but that is not really what drew my attention to them. I thought that there could be some advantage to me buying a nice rust free car that has not had to endure British winters and salty roads, in the hope that I could get her well and truly waxoyl'd before the winter sets in. I suppose I am hoping that way I could avoid the inevitable welding for as long as possible.

Have a great time in France. I found that once I got south of Orleans, the Renault 4's started appearing. I was amazed at how many I saw. I even saw one for sale on a garage forecourt in Salbris (but it was a bit rough.) I was very surprised to see three different 6's chugging around. I thought they had died out with the Dinosaurs.

Back