Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Barn Find - 1955 Citroen Traction Avant

Tripyrenees

Enthusiast
Holy Crap!! I was just given a car for free.

I own it..... the guy was so happy that I was able to move it from his barn and said if I didn't want it then he would scrap it as he had no means to do anything with it. He wanted no money for it.
icon_eek.gif

He last drove this car in 1972 when he parked it in the barn. This was the car he learnt to drive in. The original owner who bought it brand new was the boss of a Sandal Factory which used to be close to our village. Then the father of my neighbour bought it and used it for 4 years before parking it up - Petrol cost 20 centimes per litre when he last filled it up - I love a story.

I have the Carte d'Identity and Permit de Conduire for the owner (who is actually dead
icon_e_confused.gif
) and will request a replacement Carte Gris from the prefecture.

The job of transporting it went quite smoothly in the end although my trailer is as small as you would every want it.

Time to sell the Simca 6 to free up some money to renovate this 1955 Traction Avant 11CV - anyone want to buy it
icon_e_biggrin.gif

P1060033.jpeg P1060035.jpeg P1060037.jpeg P1060050.jpeg P1060067.jpeg P1060071.jpeg

Cor, that looks lovely! You are very lucky to have found that. Can't wait to see what condition it's in, though the bodywork looks excellent from those photos.

Gave it a good power wash and hoovered out the interior. Seems very nice although I have not pulled up the carpets yet. But for a start it has not shocked me in any way. It is a bit heavier than a 4L and I can't push it back in the garage on my own. I am used to little cars :confused:

Still can't believe I was given it for free :) - speedo is stuck, I am not driving here.

IMG_0792.jpeg

Wondering if the Scottish theme was original

IMG_0793.jpeg

Under the dusty covers were some pretty good seats.

IMG_0794.jpeg

A few damp patches but no tears

IMG_0800.jpeg

Connected a battery and the light work - not much else though :(

IMG_0808.jpeg

Managed to shine up one light ;)

IMG_0809.jpeg

How lucky you are, a Traction Avant for free, what a lovely dream !!!! Good luck for the restoration ;)

I have a perfect solution for you, Keep the little Simca(such a sweet car)------and give me the Citroen----- also for free. I'm just trying to help you get more space in your garage.

Epic!!! I just LOVE these old Citroens (although I currently drive a modern Xantia!) AND the yellow headlights work-even better! You've just given me an excuse to re-watch all those episodes of "Maigret" with Michael Gambon as the main actor!

Well done, mate!

Merci !

I finally have the fiche technique for the car, well on Monday anyway. So I will take it for its CT on the back of the trailer and then we will push it thru its tests to fail with a contra visite on everything and then back to the prefecture to get the Carte Gris in my name.

A long process but satisfying after so long.

The finest designed car that was ever made, best of luck with the restoration but then again you don't need any luck because you got it for free!

I have regretted selling mine since i did. my favorite car. handled better than any car i have driven. cruised fine in modern conditions. wasn't noisy but was cold in winter. And when the windscreen shatters whilst on route back to the UK I discovered traction screens are made in a special way. A 6 inch round section in front of the driver doesn't shatter! but stays clear

Back