Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Battery tray removal

jjad

Enthusiast
Hello,

I'm trying to remove my very rusty battery tray to treat and repaint it, but I'm having trouble removing it!

It's a GTL (LHD, but tray is in same place as in UK GTLs). I can see that there are two bolts through the inner wing (though one was missing - the other was stuck but is now free) and a larger bolt into the chassis (very stuck!). Are there any other bolts?

Thanks, Jonathan

Hi Jonathan
I just removed one on a 85 GTL and it had the three bolts you describe. The one through the chassis is very hard to get at from the motor side.
On my 78 GTL the two bolts through the inner wing were difficult as they weren't nut and bolt but screws into clips.
Robert

Thanks Robert, that's really useful information. As the big bolt goes through the chassis, I suspect that I will need to find the nut from underneath the car and get someone to turn that while I hold the nut still. Good to know that there aren't any further bolts :)

Thanks, Jonathan

IIRC you can get at from the front it if your remove the bonnet first.
Robert

Good thinking, Robert!

In fact, I removed the gearbox/sump guard and could then simply get access to both the nut on the inside of the inner wing and the bolt (which also goes through the front bumper support) from the outside of the inner wing by working from below.

That way you get a little bit more room on the nut side.

Cheers, Jonathan

Back