Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Boosting performance

robg

Enthusiast
I'm curious (and a little ignorant) about how to boost a 1108 engine performance.
Would anyone know whether Renault revised the r4 gtl inlet manifold post 1982 ? Is there
an alternative carb. to the zenith 28 IF that would help?
Any thoughts gratefully received

See my post elsewhere re upgrading the Cleon 110 to 45cv..... I have all the R5 parts for the upgrade

See my post elsewhere re upgrading the Cleon 110 to 45cv..... I have all the R5 parts for the upgrade
Interested in following up your comments on parts. Would you know if the parts you have would fit a 688 D7/12 engined 1982 gtl?
Thanks

I'm no mechanic or such, but if it's a Cleon 1100cc engine (which, having looked it up, it looks like it is) then I believe the parts should fit.

thanks for the reply. can you let me know which parts you have and the R5 version/model they came from
Thanks

I have no idea which R5 model the parts came from. I bought them from a reputable dealer on leboncoin (French Gumtree) who strips Renaults and sells the parts. He sells the 1100 Cleon upgrade kit as a whole, which is what I bought. It's a common upgrade in France because the parts are more readily available.
eg https://www.leboncoin.fr/offre/equipement_auto/2361443910
You have to modify choke, accelerator cable to fit with the R5 Rocker cover, but, as far as I'm aware, that's it.
I have a Zenith 32 carb, appropriate air filter, rocker cover, distributor and exhaust manifold (basically the same as in the posting on LBC). You would probably need to clean the carb and replace gaskets as it's been in a box for a while.
I had intended to get it fitted to my R4 at the time but we moved back to the UK before that happened.

I have no idea which R5 model the parts came from. I bought them from a reputable dealer on leboncoin (French Gumtree) who strips Renaults and sells the parts. He sells the 1100 Cleon upgrade kit as a whole, which is what I bought. It's a common upgrade in France because the parts are more readily available.
eg https://www.leboncoin.fr/offre/equipement_auto/2361443910
You have to modify choke, accelerator cable to fit with the R5 Rocker cover, but, as far as I'm aware, that's it.
I have a Zenith 32 carb, appropriate air filter, rocker cover, distributor and exhaust manifold (basically the same as in the posting on LBC). You would probably need to clean the carb and replace gaskets as it's been in a box for a while.
I had intended to get it fitted to my R4 at the time but we moved back to the UK before that happened.
Thank you for the detail.
I have checked on what is fitted to my gtl and it appears that I have some of the updates already fitted so I will not need the parts that you have.

Back