Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

brake hoses

ade

Enthusiast
just recently got a set of stainless braided brake hoses for my LHD 67 TL 850, all fitted EXCEPT n/s/r, which of course was the only one i didn't check beforehand: can anyone tell me whats going on at the inboard end of this hose? there appears to be a pipe perhaps brazed into the side of the fitting and comes from, what looks like , the brake proportioning valve....is this short bit of pipe part of the brake hose assembly?....thanks, Adrian

Looking at the Haynes exploded diagram it appears there is a pipe fitted into a banjo that is attached to the valve. It shouldn't affect the fitted of the flexy though but there again, the Haynes diagram is for a RHD. I would have thought that both flexys were the same length. Would a photo give us a better idea?

heres a pic of rear left hand hose (inboard end), the small pipe can be seen going in the top...

• DSCF0063.jpg
    DSCF0063.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 130
So Haynes diagram was pretty accurate! Are you saying that this flexy and the 'attachment' are all in one piece? or can the 'attachment' be unscrewed?

If it is all in one piece then I would alter the plumbing. Get a brass T piece and attach it in a suitable place. Run a pipe from the flexy to the T piece and then fit the other two pipes and you're away.

The T pieces were used on a variety of older cars - the one that comes to mind were used on the Mini rear sub frame. Hopefully you have access to a brake pipe flaring tool - then all you need are the correct ends to suit.

i don't know, Steve, as i chickened out of taking it apart (it wasn't broke)....i assume the part with the little pipe coming out is screwed into the hose end....i'll find out sometime in the future...Adrian

Yes, it's as you have thought, it's not a banjo union, but rather it's threaded on both sides. The pipe on its side is copper and doesn't stand too much twisting.
In order to remove the hose, you must first undo it from the suspension arm end to free it, then you can undo it from the double union.

Back