Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Bugger, Renault Twingo wiper motor

pepper

Pepper The One and Only!
Why does someone who shall remain nameless wait, till 8:30 at night to tell me that her wipers broke on her 1999 Renault Twingo on her way home tonight!

How the heck am I going to get her wipers repaired for monday morning when she's supposed to be in Birmingham for a course and our Kias in the garage getting its cam belt changed and I told the mechanic that its no rush we've got plenty of other cars we can use!

She says that the Morris Oxford isn't suitable for a blast up the motorway at her speeds first thing monday morning!

Did you fix the wipers in the fine sunny afternoon we had today? Surely a fuse rather than doom and gloom.

nope doom and gloom!

Tried replacing the fuse last night, it blew them as soon as I touched the fuse to the contacts even with the ignition turned off!

Even worse is the fact it may have fried the ECU too! Or at least caused it to glitch!
I can't get the car to run at all now, it ran this morning when I moved it onto the drive it didn't want to start then (the red immobiliser light kept flashing) then it fired and ran so I moved it onto the drive and tonight after ordering a second hand wiper motor from a scrappies on ebay I went to move it again into the workshop and I now can't get it to run at all.

The immobiliser won't turn off for some reason! I've cleaned the contacts in the battery and changed the battery but nothing is working!

Tis a right bugger!

As far as sitting there translating the manual says, because its a German model version it doesn't have the usual way of keying a code into the ecu manually like normal Renaults do!

Better news today!

I unhooked the battery for the night to clear the memory, reconnected it this morning and then left it for 30 mins to go into scan mode as I remember rightly you have to do with these.

Success it started first time, thats a relief!

Good evening to you...
i need your help this time..lol

found a L reg Twingo left to waste around the back of my local MOT station.
He wants 150 for it which is ok...i think..been there for about 6 months..
the owner couldnt afford to have the work done..
front brakes
exhaust system
a number of small things aswell

now the bonnett is very rough at the top around the wiper area..rough as in rusted away...
can you tell me were i can get another bonnet. its the purple colour..

look forward to your reply

cheers

andrew

Bugger again! Guess what colour car I scrapped in August?

If you want a rear spoiler or heater control wires I have those though!

I'm off to France in a couple of weeks, if you have no luck there are a few scrap yards around our area and I have a nice large Kia I can fit loads of things in to bring back.

I managed to find a replacement second hand wiper motor from a scrap yard advertising a twingo breaking on ebay, it was a yellow one iirc though.

Oh blow it again!

Today I had delivered a replacement wiper motor and this evening I Attempted to fit it!

However before doing so I thought I'd check to see if it worked properly so just plugged it in and replaced the fuse and it worked for around two seconds and then blew the fuse!

Hmm somethings fishy here, so I unplugged the wiper motor completely and then tried replacing the fuse again and no popped fuse this time but when I brought the wiper lever down to the fast position the washers sprayed! Hmm so I disconnected the washer motor reconnected the original wiper motor and tried again, Lo no popped fuse!

So I push my luck and put the washers connection back on, try again and everythings now working as it should. Hmm Damm modern cars!!!!

So I put everything back together, go to start the car and it won't start again!

I wonder whether its the fuses popping that could be causing the issues with the ECU?

So I've left it outside the workshop with the battery disconnected for the night and I shall try like I did previously to see if I can get it working again.!

I may have to get it checked out by a dealer to see if there are any codes recorded that may pin point whats going on at all!

Though somehow knowing modern Renaults, I doubt they'd know what to look for either.

Today I went up connected the battery left it half an hour and then it started fine!

But later on I went to bring it home and I stopped at a friends on the way home and then on the way back out the immboliser issue came straight back to haunt me!

Finally managed to get Judiths twingo trailered into the Renault dealer on Saturday, today they rang me to tell me the wiring loom had fried itself, hence all the difficulties and random fuse blowing!

All sorted back now and at what I thought was a reasonable price too.

£185 all in was a bargin for 4 hours work from a main dealer.

Sounds very reasonable price for a main dealer. The wiring loom on our Range Rover went the same way when we were last in France. Priced up for a new loom when we got back to the UK and was quoted £865 !! Although it burnt out the indicators, lights etc, the ignition system still functioned ( good old car) so we did not get stranded and we managed to drive back to the house. Got a secondhand hand one now from ebay ( needs a bit of work ) but the main bit is OK. Cost £30 including postage and it arrived the next day ! Just need to spend a few days fitting it now.Happy days !!!

Back