Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Can a Renault 5 Turbo engine fit in a Reanult 4?

Hi djuka_renault.

It's possible. Engines from the mk1 Renault 5 fit easily into the Renault 4. There is a guy from Columbia (R4T) who has done this to his car:
http://www.rtoc.org/members/member.asp?memberid=11363 He came over and introduced himself on the forum a while ago.

The more common mk2 Renault 5 turbo engine would be more tricky. We discussed this a while ago and decided it would be easiest to start with a mk1 R5 block and bolt the mk2 parts on.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, that Renault 4 looks under a bit of strain with that turbo engine!

Ailbe

djuka_renault said:
I`ve seen the Renault 4 Alpine in 1984. It had something like 93BHP and a 1400cc engine.

Was wondering would a Renault 5 turbo engine fit in a R4?
Suggestions?

yes it is possible i have don it with a r5 gordinni turbo engine(in holland a alpine turbo engine)
with 110hp, and the turbo kick is great!!
check: http://spaces.msn.com/members/ceesntien/

i have the standard setup with the carb in front of the turbo, some in holland are driving with injection or a carb from the 5GTT so you can drive with more pressure and get approx 130-140 hp.
but think twice before you do it, cause it is al lot of work!! but after that great fun..
grtz
cees

Welcome to the forum cees,

Thanks for posting a link to the photographs. They'll make a good reference for other people thinking about fitting a turbo engine. You've done an excellent job on the conversion - it looks very neat.

thank you, it took me a month to re-built. but it was worht it!! it is great to drive, but sometimes difficult to handle :lol: specially when it is wet outside! no traction at all haha.

and you should look at the faces on the freeway when you step on the gas!!

now i am still improvinmg the handling and i am still looking for some cheap rear shock, koni or avo. problem is that they are not cheap.. abt. 150 euro. now i have original on the aft, but they are to soft. forward i have red koni´s
together with gordini stabilisers fore and aft i can keep it on the road..
i will someday also fix the gordini turbo front brake calipers, for better braking.

by the way this is my new colour.
http://img359.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img00126lf.jpg

grtz
cees

I had no idea that Koni made rear dampers for the Renault 4, but I see them in the catalogue (80-2101). I'd be interested to hear what these dampers are like if you fit them.

I must get around to fitting the 1400cc engine in my R4. Your car sounds like a lot of fun. :D

Hello,
I'm from Germany and I am planning to put a R5 Alpine Turbo Engine into my R4 GTL.
Unfortunately all Links and Photos of this Topic are inactive.
Can you help me? I need information which gearbox, engine, ... to take and I need to know which things I should know before starting this projekt.

cees R4AT has an album on here with some photographs of his installation: http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/album.php?albumid=20

The Renault 4 GTL gearbox can be used without modifications. If you want a 5 speed gearbox the Renault 5 GTL HA1 gearbox will fit with some modifications to the front crossmember, but is weak. The original Renault 5 gordini gearbox is around 100mm longer than the Renault 4 gearbox, but it is strong and some people have fitted it to their cars with big modifications to the front crossmember.

What sort of conversion do you want to do to your car?

Thanks for your quick answer.
Do you think the original gearbox is strong enough? If yes: I will not need an 5-speed gearbox.
cees R4AT has not got the original turbo/carburetor!? He used the newer one which is used in the newer R5 (R5 GT Turbo). Right!?
What other modifications will be necessary, if I use the original gearbox?
Thanks

Just discovered this thread as I have the exact same question. I've found a superb, solid totally rust and (almost unbelievably) dent free 4 gtl with a blown engine at the same time as a deliciously ratty 5 alpine turbo with a good motor. Obviously it's not a simple case of one out, one in, but is it seriously complicated? I'm a pretty useless welder, I'd be keen to keep the original gearshift and interior as I like the standard look. Anyone have any idea what else is involved before i start pulling cars apart?

I'd be keen to keep the original gearshift and interior as I like the standard look. Anyone have any idea what else is involved before i start pulling cars apart?

From what I know from this distance, it will not be a huge job as you will be working on a LHD car. All the interior can be used if you keep the 4speed GTL box. And I ask, why would you want any other gearchange than on the dash.

Engine fitting requires NO welding if you use GTL gearox.

Here is where I enter murky waters.

The induction side should have enough clearance on the RHS without the steering column.
All the bits should fit.

A little advice - hope it points you in the right direction!

Good Luck

David

in Holland there is a r4 with the r5 gt Turbo engine that car is amazing!!!!

Cees also knows it I think. (The R4 that Hotze built (also known as Alian´s cars))

Back