Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Can one build a twin engine R4?

stork

Enthusiast
Now, this is just for fun...

I know there is the Sinpar kit to make an R4 4x4, but since I ran across the 2CV Sahara I was wondering if the same could be done with an R4... Since the original concept of the Sahara came from a 2CV customer that build the kit and then showed it to Citroen in which they thought it was a good idea and ran with it!
So I figure there must be some R4 tinkers that have thought about this!
Since I do not have one to do measurements, I am wondering... say you build the rear end to hold and engine (cut the front end and suspension of another R4 and weld like a pro) and you place the engine so the wheels aline with the wheel arch. Will the rest of the engine stay within the confines of the boot/trunk? Or will it stick out?
One would also have to build a firewall between the rear seat and the new engine. Plus a way to get air to let the engine breath and cool down. What would happen to the rear seat? Will it have to be moved forward or moved up? Or maybe one places two extra front seats in the rear? This could take care off the transmission bar going to the rear engine transmission.
I gather the easiest would be to copy what Citroen did with its transmission set up.
Since one has two engines one should have the ability to manually place the rear engine in neutral when not in use.
I wonder what sort of performance one would get from two 32 hp units? the Sahara went 65 kph on one engine and 105 on two. Would the R4 come close to doubling its performance?
It sure would be a heck of a 4x4!
Anyway, your thoughts... could it be done?
A nice challenge!
Robert

I suppose you could use two 845 motors, one with a 1108 gearbox pointed the wrong way round, you'd have double wishbones at each corner and adjustable ride height, new project for Malcolm perhaps? Can't imagine what the gear linkage would look like

Hello Dave,
Here is a picture of what appears to be the 2CV Sahara (no body) but if you look at the other picture of the transmission it looks more like this could have been a one off attempt. Either way you can see the transmission linkage.
I would think you don't have to change the transmission since both engines would face in the same direction... since I don't have one to measure I really can only guess...
Great thing is that one does not need to take to many spares on an expedition!

• Sahara.jpg
    Sahara.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 902
  • Screen Shot 2011-09-08 at 1.49.56 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2011-09-08 at 1.49.56 PM.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 519
I do not think there is enough space in the rear boot to host another engine looking in the right (forward) direction... Maybe it would be easier to use a super5 engine with gearbox on one side for the rear...

Perhaps with a 357 windsor V8 where the back seat should be, you'd need to go up a size on rear tyres, 145's perhaps

HAha! I'd be terrified of hitting something and having 300 kgs of engine flying through the car. That looks like a grasstrack or stock car?

That looks like a lot of effort having to connect the back wheels up etc, why go to all the bother just do this :)

• 2xr4.jpg
    2xr4.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 470
Back