Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Car having intermittent starting problem??

LouLou

Hi im new to thread and im hoping one of you lovely people will be able to offer me some advice :)

I have a Renault Megane 1998 1.4, Recently it has started having problems starting. It is turning over but is failing to fire up, this was a one off every now and then but over the last couple of weeks it has got worse and now it is hardly starting at all when i try. Always the same thing though, turns over but never fires.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Cheers :)

hey man, did u try 2 replace the spark plugs? it could cause no fire @ starting at all.. this is the 1st thing u could do :)

Hi Loulou, Your fault is now worse but much easier to diagnose for some on the spot/under the bonnet basic diagnostics. If you are unfamiliar/without tools or useful knowledgeable assistance for the oily bits then I fully reccommend joining AA -ring them and join now - they will come asap. Their patrolmen are usually excellent at diagnostics and will get you going and/or tell you what exactly is wrong - it may be a much easier alternative than an email crash course without the aid of a video-link. Especially, if you need the car sorted asap. We have all been in your situation. Let's know. :)

Almost definately going to be flywheel sensor, sometimes a quick clean up will get it running again, if you get a new one from Renault it will probably come with a modified wiring loom to fit in - easy enough if your good with a soldering iron - otherwise get your garage to do it.

Hi everyone thanks for all your replies. I had my spark plugs changed a year ago so could possibly be them. A few people have said it could be the TDC sensor, is this the case?
Seems to be one thing after the other with my car at the mo, very frustrating! :(

tdc sensor, flywheel sensor, crank angle sensor , same thing different names depending on car manufacturer preference
sensor is about £20 ,annoyingly the modified connector plug (blue) is £25

would agree worth changing as common problem although normally causes poor hot starting and when left to cool works ok

presumably the immobiliser is not playing up ?
has your car got remote central locking ( most 1.4 meganes have got simple proximity sensor in key )as the immobiliser will cut back in after unlocking car if you dont start car after 45 seconds
very annoying on trips to supermarket or strapping kids into baby seat etc

good luck
paul

ps a lot to be said for old school simple cars with no electronic gizmo bits to go wrong

Yeah my car does have the remote central locking, i had problems with that a while ago but all seems to be sorted. My other half had a play around with the TDC sensor yesturday after struggling to find the damn thing lol. Dunno what he did but fingers crossed it seemed to be working ok. Test will be if it starts when i go out later hey lol.

Thanks for all the advice.

Back