Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Carburettor problems

Nick Banwell

Enthusiast
Mechanical novice here...I keep having to clean out my carb as there are rusty deposits clogging it up. I assume this will be coming from the petrol tank - am I right? If so - how much is a replacement petrol tank and where can I get one from for my 1986 R4 GTL ?
attachment.php

Do you have a fuel filter between the petrol pump and the carb? If there are rust deposits in the tank then it may be worth removing it and cleaning it out. I don't think new tanks are available any more from Renault but it's worth checking.

I do have a new tank to fit your car if you are interested. Send me a private message if you feel that you need it.

Well i recomend that you clean the deposite tank, these cars are old and need special treats, its not normal that you have to much rust in the carb.. im not an expert in that part of the renault because i havent done that work, but some other members have post about it and it isint to hard,

Check if you have a filter.. i supose that you must have it, so it wont be bad idea to also change the filter for a new one, i have a alternative filter and its goes fine.

tell us the results

I find this odd everyone says everyone should have a filter yet my 1984 GTL doesnt have one as far as I can tell, previous owner / first owner also denies all knowledge of it ever having one ?

Maybe Renault fitted them on a Wednesday:)

My GTL had a factory fittted one sitting on top of the rocker cover and held in place by a Terry clip. Not a bad idea to fit one if there's not one there.

Hi,my 83 GTL hasn't got a fuel filter either and I would say that the piping layout looks original. I'm thinking that I might fit one though, it's much easier to change the filter than clean out the carb. I guess they ran out of filters that day :-)

Interesting - I predict there will be a rush for filters and Terry Clips soon!! Although there is a small gauze filter in the carb (that needs cleaning, by the way) an in-line filter will stop any rubbish getting in.

I would advise anybody who fits a filter to buy a good quality one and also to use proper petrol pipe clips - not jubilee type clips as they won't clamp the rubber petrol pipe very well and you run the risk of leakage.

And I wouldn't have thought that petrol leaking on to the top of a hot engine would be pleasant.

(filtered) Jonathan

Back