Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

choke cable needed anyone ?

Cyprus Andy

Enthusiast
Just stripped the carb down and replaced bits and when refitting the choke the end snapped off :mad:

So anyone having a choke cable going spare they would like to sell me please get in touch?

I can use paypal or UK cheque whichever is best :)

What dash do you have? I have just broken an 84 with the later dash with the choke light and with a zenith 28 carb.
Cable is complete 10euro plus shipping

What dash do you have? I have just broken an 84 with the later dash with the choke light and with a zenith 28 carb.
Cable is complete 10euro plus shipping
Mine is a 1977 very short choke cable under the old style dashboard, but thank you for the offer :rolleyes:

• temp gauge (1).JPG
    temp gauge (1).JPG
    451.1 KB · Views: 1
Found one of those when I was looking for something else looks like a picture of a dalek on it
think I put it somewhere safe you know what that means

Found one of those when I was looking for something else looks like a picture of a dalek on it
I also have lots of things in safe places..... and no idea where they areo_O..But yes you are right it is a lot like a dalek and the thing is only 18" or 46cm long.....and away across into the passenger side so not the most "hands on" place for it to be either ...

I would very much appreciate it if you did manage to locate it though ;)

Problem sorted ...:)

I found an abandoned Austin J4 pick up in a field in our village, all enquiries said it has been there for at least 15 years !
So a J4 donated it's choke cable for an R4...seems fair enough to me..it was a little bit longer, but with 5 min's modifications its fitted and working :cool:

Problem sorted ...:)

I found an abandoned Austin J4 pick up in a field in our village, all enquiries said it has been there for at least 15 years !
So a J4 donated it's choke cable for an R4...seems fair enough to me..it was a little bit longer, but with 5 min's modifications its fitted and working :cool:

That is the spirit!

only problem can be if it is a stranded type cable it will pull it out alright but will start fraying when you use it to push choke back off again
you may have to fit a return spring to assist it off again

only problem can be if it is a stranded type cable it will pull it out alright but will start fraying when you use it to push choke back off again
you may have to fit a return spring to assist it off again
Nope its a solid single inner cable :) it was a tad thicker and I had to run a drill through the eye in the housing to get it to fit but no problems with it working ;)

Just use a coathanger, it was fine for me for several thousand km ;)
I firmly believe that there is nothing on an R4 that can't be fixed with coathanger wire and optimism :)

Just use a coathanger, it was fine for me for several thousand km ;)
I firmly believe that there is nothing on an R4 that can't be fixed with coathanger wire and optimism :)
I'm a duct tape man myself - used it last night on my daughters R12 to stop the frayed strands of the accelerator cable unwinding and jamming the cable. Worked well enough to get home but was an 'interesting' trip.

Back