Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Clutch is stuck-Replacement?

mojobaby

Enthusiast
Hi Everyone,
It's been ages since I posted anything on the forum, so my apologies. However, I regularly read everyones posts and follow your adventures.

My GTL has been resting for the past 4 months. I don't drive her at all in winter because of the mud which sticks to everything. Every 2-3 weeks, I start her up and let her idle for about 10 minutes but I never drive out of the barn where I keep her. Yesterday was great weather and the mud had dried out so I thought I would take her out for a good run.

I started in neutral but then couldn't get her in gear. So I turned off, put it in gear and tried to start again and she lurched forward. I've tried a few times with the same result. So I think that the clutch has rusted to the flywheel. I've tried everything to get it to disengage but I don't see any alternative but to take the whole engine out and replace the clutch.

If you remember, I took out the seized engine from my 850 car and finally got that up and running but I've never had to work on my GTL (Genevieve), so this is going to be a first for me. Unfortunately, my time is extremely limited and I only have about 45 minutes a day to work on her. But I will post photos of my slow progress and keep you updated

Today I managed to disconnect my headlights and loosen the nuts that hold the hood/bonnet in place. Also battery and air filter.

I'm also making a Youtube video of the whole process in case anyone wants to watch it after I've finished.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAA
Hello Mojo, it has been ages to hear from you, I've had the same with my restoration :ashamed:
I heard about your problem and indeed the clutch is stuck/rusted to the flywheel, but there are several options to cure,

1. Don't inject rubbish (like WD-40) unless you like tinkering.
Just put it in 1st gear and start it and it will come loose again, you can also put it in reverse (it has to buck for a while).

2. Make a stick that fits between the clutch pedal and the seat so the pedal is pressed down. This causes the clutch to continuously disengage while the pedal is pressed, you can leave it for a few days it might come loose.
At the hole where you adjust the ignition you should see the clutch plate. If not, turn the flywheel on the teeth with a large screwdriver. In theory the plate is loose and you can rotate it (with a long screwdriver), just buy putty knife and cut the sides until you have a strip of about 2 cm.
You can use this to try to loosen the plate. that can be done on both sides. flywheel and pressure group

3. Last resort, if nothing helps then get everything out.

A small tip (for free), for the next winterstop use the above mentioned stick to continuously disengage the clutch so it won't get stuck.
Only 45 minutes a day? You don't have weekends in France?:laughing:

Best regards, Joop

Thanks for the good advice Joop. I've already tried quite a few times to start it in 1st gear and reverse, but that didn't work even after a few days of trying.

I've put a piece of wood between the clutch and seat as you suggested and will leave it like that for a few days. Lets hope!

Weekends would be great, if only someone would tell the grass to stop growing! I have 5 hectares to cut.

I've also discovered a lot of antifreeze crystals around the water pump and the hole where you can see the flywheel so I think I know why the clutch plate has rusted. Also for the first time my water bottle is below minimum level even though the car hasn't been used.IMG_0132.jpg

Weekends would be great, if only someone would tell the grass to stop growing! I have 5 hectares to cut.

5 hectares to cut that's a lot of grass, the annual yield is then approx 50 tons.
With the SIP Silvercut Disc 340 F FC front mower and the SIP Silvercut Disc 1500 T FC with four rear mowers cuts 22,5 hectares per hour so 5 hectares would take less than 15 minutes. :D
1712901424691.png

Another options is let nature do it for you with some cows or sheep. With the right grassmix the meat would be great, that is if you like meat.

I've also discovered a lot of antifreeze crystals around the water pump and the hole where you can see the flywheel so I think I know why the clutch plate has rusted. Also for the first time my water bottle is below minimum level even though the car hasn't been used.
Cross fingers with that diagnosis Mojo but you are keen and thorough as usual to solve that.

Hi Everyone,
It's been ages since I posted anything on the forum, so my apologies. However, I regularly read everyones posts and follow your adventures.

My GTL has been resting for the past 4 months. I don't drive her at all in winter because of the mud which sticks to everything. Every 2-3 weeks, I start her up and let her idle for about 10 minutes but I never drive out of the barn where I keep her. Yesterday was great weather and the mud had dried out so I thought I would take her out for a good run.

I started in neutral but then couldn't get her in gear. So I turned off, put it in gear and tried to start again and she lurched forward. I've tried a few times with the same result. So I think that the clutch has rusted to the flywheel. I've tried everything to get it to disengage but I don't see any alternative but to take the whole engine out and replace the clutch.

If you remember, I took out the seized engine from my 850 car and finally got that up and running but I've never had to work on my GTL (Genevieve), so this is going to be a first for me. Unfortunately, my time is extremely limited and I only have about 45 minutes a day to work on her. But I will post photos of my slow progress and keep you updated

Today I managed to disconnect my headlights and loosen the nuts that hold the hood/bonnet in place. Also battery and air filter.

I'm also making a Youtube video of the whole process in case anyone wants to watch it after I've finished.
Hi mojobaby-Hope you get her going again soon.. Re your start-up & running 10mins.. I am always trying to let Roffen run for longer than this (atleast to get the temp all up to working temp.Then I take off the oilfiller-cap to let the wapor out. Back on again when only luke warm. Oil needs 90-100 C. to separate water/wapor instead of accumulating -Just a Tip! Re. your interiour-picture.. -When did you get a wooden leg ?
:hug:-Reid.

Hey Reid, nice to hear from you, the forum wooden be the same without your sense of humour:clapping:

My fan usually turns on at about 10 minutes, but thanks for the advice about the oil and the vapour. Still hoping that Joop's method will work and that the clutch will release.

5 hectares to cut that's a lot of grass, the annual yield is then approx 50 tons.
With the SIP Silvercut Disc 340 F FC front mower and the SIP Silvercut Disc 1500 T FC with four rear mowers cuts 22,5 hectares per hour so 5 hectares would take less than 15 minutes. :D
View attachment 32951

Another options is let nature do it for you with some cows or sheep. With the right grassmix the meat would be great, that is if you like meat.

Cross fingers with that diagnosis Mojo but you are keen and thorough as usual to solve that.
Thanks Joop, a friend of mine has a few sheep, some Scottish breed, and he's planning on renting them out to get extra income. He says that he never has to cut his grass. Its a perfect solution! I wouldn't mind a 15 minutes trim! My cut is more like 15 weeks!!

So glad that I took your advice Joop, your suggestion worked perfectly:clapping:

That piece of wood has been there since Friday and this morning I put her in gear, depressed the clutch and started the engine and no jumping forward.

So thanks very much Joop, you've saved me a months work and a new clutch:laughing:

You're welcome Dave and glad to hear the tip worked. Just tackle that small coolant issue and drive your R4, they're not made to stand still.
Save that wooden peg (leg as @reidalpine humerously mentioned :D) for next winter.

Thanks Joop, the coolant issue is a must because I have a roadworthy/MOT test next month. Emissions are always a problem but I don't want my leaking coolant to be an added problem.
And next winter I know what to do!!

Back