Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Converting an R4 into a cabrio.

R4Andre

Hi! I'm a Portuguese R4 owner.
I have one made in 1979 with elements from the older and the newer R4's (it was the transition year in the portuguese factory) and a '92 TL (but i swapped it's engine for a '86 GTL engine).

Now, since my TL is rusting and needs to replace almost everything I'm looking for some instructions/guidelines to transform it into a cabrio. Or maybe some kits I can assemble myself at home, since transformation is very expensive here in Portugal.

Anyone knows where I can find something?

Welcome to the forum R4Andre.

The only kit I can think of for a Renault 4 is from iguanakits.com. It's a pretty ugly thing that looks like a cross between a Cadillac and a 4CV. Costs over 3000 euros. I'm not aware of any cabriolet conversions for the 4, but someone else might know of one?

How good are you with metalwork? It would be a lot of work to convert the car yourself, but the body isn't really structural. It would take some modification to retain some strength in the door pillars so the doors didn't drop. Making the folding fabric roof would be tricky. I run a convertable MG with just a tonneau cover (no folding roof).

The easiest conversion would be to have a full length fabric sunroof fitted.

Back