Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

cool TL

ade

Enthusiast
i've not taken the 1967 TL for a long run yet, as it seems to have some cooling problems: today, i ran it for about 30 mins around local roads, but the bottom hose refused to get warm at all: i assume i've got a sticking thermostat?...or are they sometimes that slow to warm up?
what other jobs/parts would you do, whilst doing the stat, if thats the problem...
one other thing, is it my imagination, or did i notice the absence of an oil filter on these 850's?
.....ade

My r4 is quite different from your, but just as an example:
A mechanic took away my thermostat a pair of years ago to make the car consume less water. The car showed no problem at all, both summer and winter.
A few days ago I installed a thermometer. Never reach working temperature, even after quite long journeys, as 50 km or so.
Now I refitted a new thermostat, after 10 minute running the water temp reaches 180-200°F.
Definitely better.
Look for your thermostat, could be blocked open or even absent...

Do remove the thermostat and check it's operation by pouring boiling water over it. If the bottom hose does not get hot after 10 minutes on the road then it does pont to a duff thermostat. Did you have the heater tap turned onto hot and did the heater hoses get warm?
If the thermostat is stuck closed then now is a good time to flush the cooling system through using a good cleaner. Backward flush the heater radiator as well as the main radiator. Once all traces of rusty water have gone then fit the new thermostat, add anti freeze mixture and bleed the system.

thanks Steve, yes heater hoses were very hot, but not sure whether heater was set to hot, as i haven't worked out the controls yet....Ade

It could blow a head gasket if you keep using it with a stuck shut thermostat. If you cant get one for a few days just take it out and run it without one as a temporary fix.

If the thermostat is stuck open, is like having no thermostat at all... isn't it?

Stuck shut is different though :)

It is also possible that water isn't reaching the thermostat. Worth checking the thermostat and then checking the system is properly blead. R4s will blow head gaskets when they are run with cooling problems.

If the thermostat is stuck shut, more than 15 minutes running and the temp light should be on... If tooking away the thermostat, and controlling it in boiling water, it turns out to be really stuck shut, there is even the temp bulb (?) on the engine (or on the water pump on the earlier models, I think) to check and eventually change, I think...

what is the temperature bulb, Azezello?
if it has blown the head gasket, i assume a flatness check on the head when its off is essential?
has anyone done any "breathing" work on the 850's?
any particularly thin areas of casting to look out for?
i also noticed that the main top belt pulley is running out of true quite a bit- is this common?
....ade

The little thing that reads the temperature, on the water pump for the 845 engines or on the left side of the engine for 956 (and maybe 1108) engines, and turns on the red warning light on the dashboard when temperature raises over 115°C...

Back