Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

coolant?

angel

Enthusiast
Does anybody know whether Renault's orange coloured coolant is compatible with the red stuff (G12, as used by VW, Opel/Vauxhall, Ford etc), or the yellow/green stuff? (older Renaults). The car is a 2008 Clio RS.

HI Angelos and Merry Christmas to you.. I've always thought you could mix atleast green and blue stuff AS LONG as it says on the canister they are ok for aluminium -for one reason or other I have never mixed Red in,so can't really tell about that one.Never seen any adverse effects of my mixes. I change it once a year -to clear all debris,scales etc so it looks pretty fresh and clear at all times. -Reidar.

Hi Reidar, nice to hear from you again! All modern coolants are glycol based, therefore aluminum compatible.
The colour has to do with some additives in the coolant. The "green" family (green, blue, yellow) have non-organic additives, while red and pink have organic ones. The problem is that when two different types are mixed, these additives react and attack some rubber components in the system. This is well known in the trade (and people who didn't know it often learned the hard way...).
So my question about Renault orange coolant remains...

Back