Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Crazy Dutch R4 Man

jeffr4

senior tool assistent
Hello and I had to inform all of you about the change of dates Thenay 2012, so that's why I am a member of this forum:p and hope to post messages in the future

Ofcourse I own a R4, it's a car origional from france ,...gendarmerie.

My website is : www.jeffr4.weebly.com

I try to get a 1400 super5 injection engine into it:rolleyes:

2ijt15g.jpg

Hi Crazy Dutch R4 man, welcome to the forum and thanks for the info on the change of event at Thenay, it means i can now go.
Nice car love the colour and i like the nice slightly wider wheels.

That does look like a brilliant car.

Mines Ex Gendarmarie too. :)

Hi, looked at your website and enjoyed the very detailed pictures and information :D ( always thought a R5 would fit somehow ). Regarding your wheels I did a very similar thing with my steel wheels many years ago when i had a VW beetle they were 205 x 15 not a lot of room under the wheel arches though, do your front ones clear ok when on full lock ? :!:

The front ones clear ok,even in full lock position it's no problem, the back ones with the 175 /60 tires and the R4 loaded so let say 4 persons, in the corners of a road,I hear them scratching the sides, but other than that...no problem.

The engine of a R5 phase I fits with some miner adjustments, but this is a modern engine from the super5 and also the injection version and with the ECU/ electronic ignition. As I did not want to change anything on the engine itselve, except the gearbox, because there is no other way,next to all the components like two way fuel lines, the electric fuelpump, the computer, cables, ingnition module , lock- and fuelrelais,katalysator I have to change the stearing shaft ,the renix 44-2-2 crank ,the crank sensor on the gearbox, the engine some what higher and make some room for the dynamo etc.
As nobody has done this before,I do not have a reference, ( except the R5 phase I 1400 TS or even the Turbo, but these are all carburation and no Super5) but .... something to work on!

:smile:I have some alloys for mine ( once they have been refurbished ) and was thinking of putting 165x65 on them, i measured the distances and there was not a lot of room on the front but just enough so i was surprised that you got 175x60 on.

I might investigate next year about matching the R5 engine to the R4 gearbox, i wonder if any other type of R5 engine will fit ? why does the steering shaft need changing ?

One of the car's i have is an 850 1975 tl which i've had since 1993 and hope to start renovating next year ( it's been in storage ) so it will be nice to get it out and dust it down, so i will start having to search for body parts doors, bonnet, seats, tailgate and bits and peices.

why does the steering shaft need changing ?

There are also R4 in Holland with the alloys like the R5 Alpine wheels, who have 175, so it seems to fit.

I think you will not have the same problems as we have, with the RH steering, as we have with the LH and on that side of the engine the much bigger injection/manifold/outlet and downpipe with lambda prefent to use the shaft as it is and I have to use a universal joint and slide bearing to fit it underneeth the injection unit.
As you can see, it's very crowded on the left side and I have to adjust the height of the engine, so the masterbrakecylinder will fit and the shaft will go underneeth and the reservoir will have get an other place. Also I also have to adjust the downpipe, but..... for all there is a solution.:)
snjgbm.jpg

The changes on the shaft will be similar to this one :
fml6ye.jpg

It would be a whole lot easier for us with a right hand drive car!

Yes it would be a whole lot easier with right hand drive, i can see what you mean about the master cylinder being very close to the exhaust, hope its not to close for heat reasons.

I noticed that you've put an extra cross member in at the bottom, any reason ?

Is it a 4 speed gearbox or 5 speed you've used ?:smile:

What did you do with the pulley on the timing cover, and the rearwards-mounted water pump? I got a scrap Twingo and kept the engine and injection parts, and was thinking how to fit it on an R4. For me it's easier to make an extension on the camshaft for the pulley, machine the gearbox bellhousing for the larger flywheel and reverse the coolant flow in the cylinder head, than do any sheet metal work on the bulkhead!

Bobble
I didnot put an extra cross member in at the bottom... Maybe you see the stabalisation bar?
Accoording to our SVA, the distance between the cylinder and a the exhaust in the past is 10 centimeter minimum, but that is not required anymore. If I lower the engine as you now can see on the picture the mastercylinder will fit ( without the plastic reservoir) and I will make a heatshield. The downpipe with the lambda prefents this now, so I also change the pipe, so it has a wider curve and goes into the whole next to the length holder. I use the GTL gearbox, because it proved to be strong and makes small difference compare to the 5 speed

Angelo,
Jasoe filos, te kanete? Olla kalla?,

I didnot want to change anything on the 1400 injection-engine,except the gearbox so the dynamo, waterpump are still on that "wrong"side and not use a R4 camshaft/waterpump etc. I mounted the dynamo higher on the engine and had to use a longer belt and will adjust the body.it's just a small part as you can see on my website.

Yes i can see the stabilizing bar now and it makes sense, and i can see that the master cylinder is really close but as you say a heatshield will help.

The GTL gearbox's are a good strong and i think that they good enough for us to put whatever we want to them within reason.:smile:

For me it's easier to make an extension on the camshaft for the pulley, machine the gearbox bellhousing for the larger flywheel and reverse the coolant flow in the cylinder head, than do any sheet metal work on the bulkhead!

As I already explained, that I didnot want to change anyting on the 1400cc mono-point-injection engine,so...... I had to destroy the bulkhead :)

I've already done some work for the safety of the passenger

R4 car demolition

R4 car repair

R4 car painting

So take a look on my website :p:
http://jeffr4.weebly.com/project-1400-cc-monoinjectie-5.html

Also I did some changes, like the height of the engine supports about 3 cm and 1 cm higher, turned the headbrakecyl., make a hole for the downpipe etc.
see downpage : http://jeffr4.weebly.com/project-1400-cc-monoinjectie-4.html
Now I will install the engine and change the steering, downpipe and lambda etc.

Looking good! Saves having complaints from passengers!

I've been reading your website a fair amount actually, its quite interesting as I'm working on a Gordini turbo project and have had similar problems like the crank sensor.

Back