Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Cylinder Head Gasket Woes

snailshed

Enthusiast
Hi All,
I was on my way to collect R4 parts on the M1 in the GTL when the temp warning light came on. I got the familiar light ticking, then slight loss of power, then distinct impression the engine was not very well. Bonnet up and my expansion bottle was making all kinds of gurgling noises, while I had smoke coming off the head until it cooled off. The 'very nice man' from the AA confirmed what I'd already guessed was head gasket failure. Having refilled it with cool water in at the rad top, it doesn't start all that easily, runs lumpy and blows and gurgles bubbles into the expansion tank, but no oil-water mixing as far as I can see.

My usual bangernomic approach to Head Gasket failure is game over and to sell the car as is. I like the R4 though and pre fail intended to keep it for a bit while tidying up the slightly shabby chic bodywork. The previous posts on head gaskets on these engines sound quite involved because of the wet liner set up / skimming issues and as I've not changed one before I'm not minded to learn on this one. If I paid someone to sort it, can anyone recommend someone trusted near St Albans / Luton and any idea on the cost of doing it?

If I was to sell the car as is, would anyone on here be interested in it?
Its a 1985 silver GTL with red tartan trim, MOT Sept 7th, Tax end Aug, 116k miles. Pretty good chassis, some repairs but solid. Front wings useless but body otherwise sound, with flat paint but nice patina. Would look pretty original and straight post a good t cut and polish! Interior pretty good except holed drivers seat. Suspect pinhole in petrol tank as the car smells of fuel inside if you fill it more than 2/3rds full. (I was on my way to collect a fuel tank for it from Andy Sherlock!). I've had it about 5 weeks and bought it quite recently from Purpaboo via ebay.

As you might be able to tell, I'm in two minds about what to do next. If you've got advice please post. If you are interested (in buying) and want to take a look at it PM me, or give me a call on 07765 713967.

Cheers Guys!

It sounds quite drastic selling the car only for a hed gasket...

Head gasket is not too difficult a job ,you could try Malcom or Derek Flavell.

I know how you feel some times things just get on top of you and you think to hell with it lets get rid.
Selling it will only make you regret it afterwards so best try to get it fixed, after all it's not going to be expensive, that way at least there will be no regrets further down the road.

R4 headgasket

Should you wish to sell R4 I may be interested. What price are you thinking of?.E mail or call/text 07989 071965.

It sounds quite drastic selling the car only for a hed gasket...

Agreed. I advise you fix it. It is afterall quite lovely, and yes I'd like it, but since I'm trying to restore frankenstein's 2CV I can't afford it.

At least you can get bits for your R4. Try running a pug 104 coupe sorry LNA 11e (they are so alike, easy to confuse it).

I have had 4 LNA's and i never had trouble getting parts for them. I had a white one that had only covered about 12000 miles from new and it was like new too garage and all. Very nippy car when set up correctly. If i kept it below 70 i used to get 60 MPG. The only thing i couldn't get at the time was head lamps but knowing that i know now i would have ordered them from der-franzose.

Long live the R4!

Agreed. I advise you fix it. It is afterall quite lovely.

Cheers Matt, after much umm'ing and arr'ing and writing options on the back of fag packets (then scribbling through and changing my mind again) I've come round to the idea of fixing it. I have lots of plans for it and somehow selling it now feels like there is unfinished business if I don't follow them through. Cheers all for the advice / support / offers. And all being well see you at the 2cv event in it at the start of July! :rolleyes:

Glad that you've made the right decision ;)

Hope to see you in July!

Back