Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Drive shaft boot replace tool

lazyduck15

Enthusiast
Hi everybody

This is concerning an R5 car. I have to replace the boots to the drive shafts on the wheel and gear box side. Do anybody is got a drawing or sketch of a tool showing dimensions? I made one based on what is showed in some Renault manuals (kind of a cage). I have wasted some brand new boots trying to have them to get the size with no success. They ended up in parts. Thank you all in advance. :shock:

Buying one of the cheap cones I have shown on the link is the best and easiest way for us home mechanics to get the drive shaft gaiters on. We just warm the gaiter up in the microwave, turn it inside out and slide it on using one of those tools.

Just open my mind Pepper

Thanks a lot for your advice Pepper, I have seen the tools on e-bay and read the procedure you describe.
I will check possibility of getting one of those cones on e-bay delivered money wise to my place. If not, I will look for something similar locally.

Regarding the procedure, once heated up the gaiter I understand you place it on the cone, well lubricated and then after slide it over the shaft.
May you have any pics of the operation? lt would be great.

Have a nice weekend!

This is it!

This a snap of procedure. It takes less than 30 seconds. Actually the second tool is also very helpful. I have seen the light.
Local gaiters are not as good as the ones shown, but as you suggested, heating them up will do the trick.
Let's see how do I get a hold of those tools.

Thanks again, Pepper !

My air operated stretcher does the trick even better but they sell for about £85.00 which is ok if your using it often

ahh, but have u seen the air operated ones exploding? just do a search o you tube!

Risky stretchers

I have seen the ones they show exploding, I suppose is most a matter of quality manufacturing. The ones I saw they say were from Israel. Who knows!
The price says it all.
On the other hand, when you order gaiters, do you ask for a model number , a size, part number or else ?

Regards

Back