Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Drive shaft outer CV joint Rubber boot problem ?

Cyprusnoddycar

Enthusiast
I was fitting my new drive shafts today, and everything was going well until I noticed that the clips on the outer drive shaft CV joint rubber boots are touching the lower steering arms ? So I guess the new reproduction Upper/Lower steering joint tapers are incorrect and going in too far ? I flattened off the clip as much as possible, but it still fouls the arm, when turning the steering. The only way I can see around it is to make 'Dent' in the top of the lower arms with a large 'Ball peen' hammer to make the clearance ? Has anybody else had this problem before ? Thanks Kevin20240210_114105.jpg20240210_144015.jpg

Put your wheel back, remove jack and check then again, without jack

I've had the self same problem. Some bottom steering joints are too long, and while it's fine when the car is on it's wheels, as soon as you jack it up the boot clip fouls the bottom arm. The problem arises when the car goes for its MOT. You must make sure the tester is aware of this and hopefully they will make allowances. Otherwise when they spin the wheel to check the wheel bearings it will quite literally rip the boot off. Better to fit some shorter bottom joints.

I've had the self same problem. Some bottom steering joints are too long, and while it's fine when the car is on it's wheels, as soon as you jack it up the boot clip fouls the bottom arm. The problem arises when the car goes for its MOT. You must make sure the tester is aware of this and hopefully will make allowances. If not fit some shorter bottom joints.
Many thanks for this useful information, I thought it was my mistake at first. I will try it with the wheels back on tomorrow. I have found some other repro R4 parts a bit suspect as well. Think I will try and find some original lower steering joints over here. Cheers Kevin

You are very welcome Kevin, and good idea, new old stock is always good if you can find it.
Kind regards Bry
Yes, I think I know an old motor shop with some R4 new old stock. Will investigate. Hope you are keeping those 'Emmets' out of Cornwall ! LOL !

I've run into the same trouble. I was fortunate to find an old stock driveshaft but these aren't going to be available for ever.

It's a bad design - there isn't enough clearance between the driveshaft boot and the wishbone. Add to that a replacement ball joint and the clearance might be less. Add to that a replacement driveshaft boot (the original driveshaft boot clips were really slim) and there is trouble.

I've not found replacement ball joints or replacement driveshaft boots that improve the issue. If anyone has found any it's worth noting the manufacturer/ supplier down on here to save others issues.

A dent in the lower arm might be a good idea (apart from all the structural integrity stuff). Can't recommend it but lower arms are not known for falling in half so it's probably something I might think about in the future.

I've run into the same trouble. I was fortunate to find an old stock driveshaft but these aren't going to be available for ever.

It's a bad design - there isn't enough clearance between the driveshaft boot and the wishbone. Add to that a replacement ball joint and the clearance might be less. Add to that a replacement driveshaft boot (the original driveshaft boot clips were really slim) and there is trouble.

I've not found replacement ball joints or replacement driveshaft boots that improve the issue. If anyone has found any it's worth noting the manufacturer/ supplier down on here to save others issues.

A dent in the lower arm might be a good idea (apart from all the structural integrity stuff). Can't recommend it but lower arms are not known for falling in half so it's probably something I might think about in the future.
Thanks for all this info Malcolm, think I will look for some thinner metal drive shaft clips first, as the problem is where the thicker 'Clip joint' is causing the main problem.

I just found these thinner S/S clips in one of my boxes of bit and pieces. So will try them out today. Thanks again for your help.20240211_075614.jpg

I think your problem is more related to the outer CV joints being larger in diameter than factory ones.

I think your problem is more related to the outer CV joints being larger in diameter than factory ones.
Yes, I thought that was the problem as well.
But the good news is that I have now fixed the problem, by removing those thick clips and fitting the thin S/S clips like Malcolm said. So the shafts now have about 6mm-8mm clearance to turn with the car jacked up.

Last edited:
I am usimg thi kind of clips for boots

View attachment 32772

Berner is not only one that sell this kind of clips.
Good thing is theay are self locking.
Once you pass end of clips throught head of clips you can not open it again.
Rest simply cut with pliers or brake bending it back and fort few times
They should do the job hopefully.

Back