Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Driveshaft issues and general help req

F6vanslam

hello all,
i have a 1984 F6 van with the 1.1 C1E engine.
Now i've had this van for years used it for work 2 years, out and about for a year, sat waiting for time to fix and finding stuff for about a year and after 9 or so months of hardwork i've done what i set out to do have been to several shows and the like enjoyed driving her around again and just returned from a 650 mile roadtrip to belgium!
now i have several renault related bits i require help and information with! i'm building another engine from a early 5 for my 4 and require a R324 C33 dissy however my main issue is drive shafts now first question my shafts are the 700mm 22/23 either end tooth/spline shaft variety does the shorter shaft from earlier renault 4's have the same 22/23 set up? or completely different? or just different one end?
regards
lee:D

the renault 5 shafts will fit the 4 and vice versa. Not sure what you mean by "early renault 4" do you have some very old driveshafts? If you do I'd be tempted to get some later rebuilt ones anyway as they're not expensive and they last forever if the boots are sound

all my parts have come from germany they have a 30 strong team just for citreon peugeot renault old parts
according to there parts specs up to 1973 the shafts where 645mm and after 700m but only specs the tooth numbers on the 700m shaft?
so just wanted to check they were the same before i start my search
perhaps i will ring them find out?
unless someone has had a early and late one and know for sure?

van pics will follow in due course :D

I see, they are not compatible with one another so you need the later type or the ones from the R5 will be fine also. My 84 tl has one driveshaft from an R5 and one from an F4 van which had a 1108 engine so they are definitely switchable

As long as you have the "male/male" driveshafts (73 onwards, for the "square" gearbox), you don't need to worry, there was only one type and interchangeable between Renault 4-5-6.

right okay thats what i needed to know!

got a ex 5 cup "race" car that ive nicked both shafts on to fix them as when they originally started siezing but starting to go again! just gonna be where i'm so low and there awful design they dont even stay straight when turning standard the arm enters at a really funny angle strange? better get some custom ones made me thinks!

Back