Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Easier starting at this time of year when damp & colder, top tips?

Lou

Enthusiast
R4F6 van been good for the summer and ran well, now after all the recent rain and getting colder it really struggles to start if I leave it for a few days. The plugs, leads etc aren't that old, battery good. It has a supposedly waterproof breathable cover I put on if leaving out for a bit but ironically this seems to increase the condensation build up in the engine bay so not much use really. Can't seem to find Holts Damp Start anymore, I used to spray this over the electrics on other past old vehicles. Someone told me to get a 123 ignition with new HT leads. Any top tips for improving starting whilst I don't have access to a nice warm dry garage....advice appreciated. Cheers

Hi

If the spark plugs are in good condition and adjusted correctly and the ht leads are relatively new, I would check to see if the distributor cap and rotor arm are in good condition and the points are in good condition and adjusted correctly. These are cheap components to replace so worthwhile changing. In addition, check that the timing is adjusted correctly. There should also be a removable plastic cover which sits at the top of the distributor. They are good at keeping the condensation out but sometimes are missing. Finally, ensure the choke is working correctly.

It may be that the cover is causing more problems than it solves.
I've found that my GTL - which has lived outside since 1996 - always starts more easily if I've left the choke pulled out. Might be worth a try!
Is your air filter tube is on the winter setting now?

Thanks both, I'll try and work through the obvious stuff, and replace as necessary (and try tip of leaving choke pulled out, does seem to operate okay). The short airfilter hose is still pointing forward. Where do you buy your consumable bits in UK for the R4? Also, do you have a starting technique from cold, I think I might be flooding it. Thanks.

Charged battery overnight, liberal spray of Duck Oil on electrics, half choke and started straight away today......

But now oddly after taking the battery off to charge it and put back, the fuel gauge and some instrument lights on the dash have stopped working, fuses fine, one thing after another it seems

Back