Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

electric problem

billythefish

Enthusiast
I seem to have lost my indicators and all the lights on the dashboard has also gone out but the headlights work all right, the car still fires up with the key but won't turn off again.
I assume there is only the one fuse box near the volt regulator, checked the fuses which are all OK.
Has anyone any idea to what has happened, I'm not electrically minded so any help would be appreciated.
billy

Some older versions have two fuse boxes, one under the steering wheel and another one in the bonnet...
It sounds like a missing ground connection, but I never heard of a car that does not turn off...

Thanks Azazello for the quick reply,
I have looked under the steering wheel but cannot see one however, I'm guessing there has to be another one some where.
once again thank you.
billy

What year is your car?
In my 1991 956cc the fuse box is on the left corner under the dashboard, covered by a piece of black plastic... Mine is a LHD car. I do not know if in a RHD r4 you should search on the right corner or anywhere else...

Sorry I should have explained my problem more clearly, I have a 1971 R/Hand Renault 4 estate 845cc.
billy

Won't be another fusebox on a '71. Interesting that the ignition stays live after the key is turned off. Disconnect the battery - you'll ruin the coil.

Were you working on anything before the problem started happening?

Ignition gets it's feed from a connection block behind the instruments (to the RHS). The instrument lights and indicators are also fed from there. Have you got a voltmeter or an old bulb to check what's live that shouldn't be?

I've taken the battery off the car but will try and have a look to tomorrow, the problem stared with the indicators not working yesterday and today the instrument panel lights all went out, however, when I started the car and put the indicator on either side the green ignition light came on and stayed on until I put the indicator arm off.
billy

Would be inclined to disconnect the wires from the flasher unit (the one circled in the picture) to see if that makes everything else work.

• wiring-in-progress.jpg
    wiring-in-progress.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 167
Hi Malcolm,
I just realised how right you were, I took the battery off the car because I could not get it started probably due to the fact that there was no spark, hence the coil being burned out, I assume any 12 volt coil will do as a replacement?
billy

On reflection,
yesterday the indicators would not work and today I noticed a broken wire on the voltage regulator which I repaired, that is all that I've done to the car.
I will disconnect the flasher unit tomorrow Malcolm and see what happens. thanks for all the help.
billy

On reflection,
yesterday the indicators would not work and today I noticed a broken wire on the voltage regulator which I repaired, that is all that I've done to the car.
I will disconnect the flasher unit tomorrow Malcolm and see what happens. thanks for all the help.
billy

Worth posting photos of the voltage regulator wiring if the indicator thing doesn't do the trick. I've got a '68 wiring diagram which is similar. Have you got a '71 diagram?

Sounds like a bad earth somewhere or a faulty ignition switch.
When the car is running instead of turning the key off, pull the live connection off the back of the switch. If the engine stops then it's likely to be a faulty ignition switch.
Only guess work though.

1)I have a diagram of the the wiring and I will post a picture of the regulator, plus another one that I have as a spare however I don't know which wires go where and if the two regulators are compatible or not.
took the wires off the flasher unit as suggest but to no avail still the same out come.
2) fired the engine up took the live wire out of the back of the ignition switch but the engine continued to run.

004.jpg

010.jpg

008.jpg

QUOTE]

002.jpg

Does the new regulator have two terminals instead of three? (as I can see on the photo). It's for an alternator, and it's not compatible with your car (which has a dynamo, judging from your regulator).

Thanks Angel, as I did not know that.
The problem with my wiring has been solved the old boy down the road had a quick look at it and spotted that the blue wire on the left of the fuse box should be on the spade on the right hand side, talk about feeling stupid, but problem solved.
Once again thanks to everyone for all their help.
:hug::hug::hug:

Back