Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Electronic ignition

electronoc igntion

My son has bought me one of ebay for just a tad under £30 p&p which was only £1.80 for my R4, I have not fitted it because naturally it's not Xmas yet but it's only got four wires of which one is the earth.
So it should be simple to use and it's guaranteed for one year, the number on ebay is 160389299200 and if you get stuck you can phone or email the guy for clearer instructions.
Remember also to ask for the correct earth Negative or positive, as far as I know all R4 were Negative earth, unless some one else can tell me to the contrary.
billy

These are similar to the Boyer Bransden unit which has been available for years. They do work well but do not convert the system to 'fully electronic'. The 123 distributor will do this but at a price.

ignition

To be quite honest Steve I have not fitted the item that my son bought me for xmas from E bay,so I really can't say if it works well or not, at the present time the R4 starts first time of asking and I'm a little bit apprehensive to add this item to the car but it is a Christmas present, so I don't really have much choice in the matter as such.
I have also got a Sparkrite Sx 2000 electronic ignition which is on an old 1967 Mercedes 250s that I have got, but the engine is still in bits so I don't know how that one would fare either if I put it on an old car.

I'm sure it will work ok. With these units the points don't burn so they last a very long time as long as you grease the cam every so often. I fitted a Boyer one on my R4 and it's done around 60,000 miles or more, and fitted them to other cars as well. If it ever failed you only need to swap the wires around to put everything back to original.
I haven't heard of Sparkrite for years. If it's a universal one then try it on your R4 providing it's the same type of unit as your recent present.

Hello
i have found a device where you leave the points in and this device extends the life of the points.

It can be found on ebay 160389284698 the cost is £36 plus £1.80 pp.
I have ordered one and will post a progress report in the future.

Have also ordered the type edward has ordered so will post with results.

Now fitted the electronic ignition system mentioned. Bit early for a full assesment but immediately the tick over has improved, much smoother and even than before. Power delivery is also smoother and, possibly a bit of wishful thinking here, slightly more responsive. Its always a bit difficult with these things as you expect things to improve and therefore very easily imagine they have. No doubt about the tickover though. Its minus 8 here at the moment and starting is a little sluggish anyway when Ive scraped the ice off and forced a door open. Will post further with a definitive when it warms up a bit and we dare brave Fifis woeful heater and rear screen demister.

I fitted this unit about 4 days ago. I have not taken the car for a run yet but will give a progres reort.

This item was bought off ebay and it came with easy fitting instructions. It took about 30 min to fit.:):)

ignition

I fitted mine the other day, it only has four wire and if I knew how easy it was to fit I could have got our dog jess to do it, that's how really simple it is to fit, well it must be because I'm pretty simple myself
billy:D
works a treat.

HELLO

I FITTED THE SYSTEM I PURCHASED FROM EBAY, IT CAME WITH 4 WIRES AND EASY TO READ INSTRUCTIONS PLUS TELEPHONE BACK UP FROM THE GUY WHO MAKES THEM UP IN SCOTLAND. VERY EASY TO FIT AND VERY NEATLY MADE.COST £36 PLUS £3 P&P TO FRANCE THATS WERE I SPEND HALF MY TIME.

I PURCHASED THE SYSTEM WITH A REVERT SWITCH SO THAT IF I NEED I CAN REVERT BACK TO THE OLD POINTS SYSTEM.

I HAVE NOT FULLY TESTED THE SYSTEM AS I AM DOING OTHER WORKS ON THE CAR I WILL GIVE AN UPDATE LATER::p:p:p

Have had time to full assess the unit now and there is a definite improvement all round, starting particularly in the cold is much better, smoother tickover and definite better throttle response. It riddiculously easy to fit and have just done a friends 2cv with the same unit and with the same results. I can't fault it.

Which make and which distributer ?

Hi, I am considering whether or not to fit electronic ignition to my cars. It seems from all of your feedback it is worthwhile. Mine all have SEV Marchal distributors because they all have the small engine and date from '72-'78 - have any of you fitted EI to these and if so which make (and price) ?

There is a company based in Ilford advertising 4L Ducellier EI on eBay at the moment but they say they can make the unit fit if I send a photo....

I know it only takes a few minutes to regulate/change the points but I do quite a few kms so it needs to be done quite often.

As a slight aside, the Sinpar was running a bit rough so I cleaned everything,checked and reset points, timing, carb, plugs, leads etc etc , starting the car between each change. The thing that made the single biggest difference was changing the plugs !

Mind you, I still haven't refitted the exhaust yet so I will probably have to re-adjust the carb once it is on !

Back