Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

engine gone???

mathiszig

Enthusiast
Sadly, whilst driving on the motorway, the engine on my R4 developed a horrible grinding/rattling sound. The Rac towed me home but was at a loss to tell me what exactly was wrong. Big end gone?? was one of their suggestions - all indicates to a terminal engine fault. My garage here said they won't even open the engine up as something like that would work out far too expansive.
The car has 10 month Mot.....

any suggestions what else it could be, what to do next?

Thanks Lucie

As you're in London it might be worth seeing if Derek from Renospeed could help you - he's based in SE4.

Good luck.

It's worth checking the oil on the dipstick. Pull it out, clean it, then put it back in at take a sample.

If the oil doesn't reach the level of the dipstick (has run out) or if the oil seems metallic and perhaps has little metal bits in it then chances are the engine has departed this world. If the oil looks normal then it might not be so bad.

Derek at Renospeed should be able to diagnose. If the worst comes to the worst there are plenty of used engines about - they normally last much longer than the rest of the car.

thanks all. I have checked the oil. very dark but plenty there. Will have the car towed to Renospeed tomorrow. Maybe there still is hope.
Lucie

That is good news. Might be something as minor as a failed gearbox mount which sounds like a calamity but is easily fixed. It'll be interesting to know what the problem is - do let us know what Derek says.

Ditto...

I have just had the very same experience apart from i managed to nurse mine home and it is still running although very lumpy and with a pronounced death rattle! Thinking of going down the Gordini route myself but it appears to be a little tricky to find a donor car. Any ideas anyone?

Back