Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Engine Upgrade

JohninColombia

Enthusiast
Well after much work the Renault 4 has 60 BHP as opposed to the 35 it had before.
If you have a big block ( engine tag has the block number) just run that number on google to find out.
You just buy the 1400 piston set and have it installed. Here in Colombia it is about $150 USD. I’m sure it will cost more over the pond.
It is scary driving this baby with so many ponies, but a lot of fun as well.
:p

• jugs.jpg
    jugs.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 210
  • motor 011.jpg
    motor 011.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 208
  • tint 004.jpg
    tint 004.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 203
Very interesting, let us know what kind of engine do we need to start with and the name of the set, so we can see the features...
When my engine will leave me I'm planning to do a similar job to change my 956 in a 1108... I'd like a 1400 engine, 60-70hp will turn our little car in a modern one... But I wonder how thirsty this engine will be...
What kind of manifold, carb and distributor have you fitted? GTL gearbox or you managed to find a 5-geared one?

4meamHhM I used the old head and carb. They just installed new bigger jets.
I used a PerTronix.com electronics ignition and a 60,000-volt coil.
Used the old tranny, but did upgrade the clutch and PP.
:rolleyes:

OH! as fare as gas miles go, I don't see any differance but I'm sure there is. You don't get 30-40 extra ponies for free.hahahaha:D

Did they need to machine the liners or their locating bores in the block? Or maybe your 1108 block is of local production and the same for 1108cc and 1397cc? With the standard French block it is not possible to go over 1108cc without serious "surgery".

They just machine the 1100 block to fit the 1400 pistons in.
The stroke does not change as the pistons are the same about 80mm.
You calculate BHP by stroke times piston surface area SXSA= BHP.
The ponies go up as piston surface area goes up.
I took off a slice of the head to give more compression, that was 7 to 1 in the org. R-4. Mine is now around 9 to 1 or 200 PSI give or take.
My only problem is the tires spin from the get go, but I'm learning to stop that with less gas. (::rolleyes:

That's something wrong...
European 1108 engine's stroke is 70 mm, and compression ratio 9.25:1, I remember...

77mm pistons (from the 1397 engine) on the 70mm stroke crank give 1303cc. The formula you put calculates engine displacement (cubic centimetres), not horsepower.

Back