Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Estafette Clutch Advice

Matt-A24

Enthusiast
Hello hello,

I introduced myself here a few weeks ago by saying I was planning to pop over to France and bring back an Estafette. After rather a lot of searching I've found one that fits the bill and the wallet, and I'm going to go and retrieve it next week.

It's in all-round nice nick, other than that it appears to have an issue with it's clutch. (I have things crossed that the Estaf's share the R4's simple-to-solve ceasing issue).

So assuming that I shall be changing this sooner rather than later, and having only ever changed a 2cv clutch before, I wonder if anyone could shed some light on the operation?

- Do I need spring compressors or specific centring tools? Will a "universal" centring tall from Machine Mart or wherever do the trick?

- Am I right in thinking the Estafette's engine can be extracted (without having to detach the entire front subframe) by jacking up the front a bit, removing front bumpers and a cross-member or two, then wiggling it around until it comes?

- As seen here, there are two types of clutch for the Estafette, the pre '66 one with the three springy flaps, and the post '66 one with the more modern-looking circle of fronds (technical stuff, this). Do you know if they are interchangeable, or if a pre-66 gearbox (or engine) demands a pre-66 clutch? (It seems odd to me that vans starting using Cléon-Fonte moters instead of Ventoux in '62, but the clutch changes over in '66. My Van-to-be seems to sit in-between these, c-type engine, old clutch)

(I just wish the R4 clutch fitted - so much cheaper!)

Sorry for rambling on. I tend to do that
Matt

Hi Matt

Bit of a late response for you but only just signed up to thIs forum.
I have an Estafette and I believe to change the clutch the quickest way is to drop the whole subframe then remove the engine. It was the only thing that potentially put me off buying one. I'm not even sure if you removed the head and all the ancillaries if the engine would come out through the front panel.
The dealer I use estimates a complete subframe out, clutch change and back in is approx 16 hours !!

My answer is yes you can remove the engine by the front, just removing the grill, the radiator and the bumper
I will post photos when I can

well, you need to remove the front "traverse" as well (not sure, cross-member ?)

hope this helps !

Back