Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Estafette driveshaft !

Estafette King

I recently purchased my first Estafette (1970) after having 6 R4 in my garage. Now I am trying to remove the driveshaft but cannot get them out of the transmission -they are simply firm/stuck -what do I miss -is there a locking pin or something similar that I miss ?

Hi

I'm not familiar with the Estafettes but the early R4s do have a roll pin securing the driveshaft at the gearbox end. Check with a torch and run your finger round the joint at the driveshaft end to feel for the end of a roll pin. Sometimes the end of the roll pin is masked by a dollop of sealant/locktite.

If nobody on the forum can help, there's this group:
Maybe you've already got this, but there's a German version of the MR128 here:
And more Estafette info here:
There's an interesting series of French Estafette videos on YouTube:

The hub of the inner driveshaft joint is bolted to the differential. You have to open the inner joint (open the boot/its large hose clamp) then you can pull the shaft out of its hub - be careful not to lose one of the three rollers and/or its needles.
If you want to unbolt the hub from the gearbox first drain the gearbox, then take the grease out of the hub and unlock the center bolt (it is locked via a locking plate/tab washer). You can then loosen the bolt and take off the hub.
Check/exchange all seals when reassembling.

Back