Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Fuel Coming into Carb after shut off,sometimes!

Tutton

Morning all,

Can any one help me out here please? Car is Renault 5 Monaco 1.7, my issues is fuel coming into the carb after shutting off the engine. Now what makes this worse is it doesn't always do it! It hasn't done it for a while now, and yesterday I changed my filter to something a little better, took it for a short run up the road, came home turned it off 30 seconds later I could hear it dribbling into the carb, and smelling of course!
So after a calming cup of tea, I took it out again, after it was very difficult to start, 12 mile run stopped on a side street switched it off. Left it for about 8 minutes, nothing. Turned the key and it fired up. Drove it about 4 miles stopped again did the same and fine, drove it home, switched it off and it dribbled. To me it seems like crappy gunk coming through the system? The car hasn't done a lot of miles for a 88' Renault 5 (34,000)

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers

Just to add to this, I've been looking into certain things and noticed that the turbo both phase 1 and 2 had a perc fan, which is used to blow cold air onto the carb base, as hot starts became an issue in warm weather. Possibly the same issue?

as a trial I've routed in a cold air feed to blow cold air into the space between carb and engine block, will see if this makes any diference.

Cheers

Sounds like heat soak causing the fuel to evaporate after the car is switched off. I think the fan at the carb base was fitted to the Monaco as an after-market fix by dealers. I tried installing a computer fan on my MG to fix the same problem but there wasn't enough air flow. Something a bit more powerful rigged to a thermostat might work well.

cheers for the reply, I'm doing the same thing, got a fan coming this morning and got a housing as a trial. Also got a thermostatic circuit coming and temp probe to keep my eye on it. Read all the horror stories about the perc fans on the turbos!

Welcome to the forum, I've got another Monaco with low mileage too.
They do tend to evaporate the fuel when switched off especially after a good long run.
Steve noticed mine was doing it yesterday when we were at the renault 4 Kent meet.

I don't get too worried about it, mine starts up again after a little turning and carries back on, it doesn't refuse to start (if it did then I'd be looking into it)

Beware of fiddling with the carb, if it runs fair OK don't meddle as they are temperamental things and if you remove the carb from the car the replacement gasket is silly money!

hi, sorry about late reply. Yeah I'm only bothered because its a fair bit of fuel, it will leak in for a good few minutes as well. I've got my set up done now, ordered a circuit with thermostat to run a fan after shut down, and additional temp probe. The whole set up is pretty good and operates well, but i can see the temp read out sitting around 50deg with the fan on.(probe sat just above rocker and air filter, air filter is a bolt on type) Granted its a small fan, now initially i had it pointing at where the fuel line comes into the carb, and it cooled that no problem, but still it leaked in. Had it sat in my drive ticking over, switched off and it was fine. Take it for a drive and switch it off and it's a different story!

like I say its quite a bit of fuel and its only about 15degrees outside now, so cant imagine what the summer will be like! Starting to think about having carb rebuilt but I'm fairly happy with it and its basically eradicating it from the problem list, might have to see the bank manager first though! Oh and find someone who knows what the hell they are doing! I think its all the Aluminium!

Back