Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Fuel Pump- Rusted Thu ! + Filter!

alewis

Enthusiast
More an interesting find than any thing else. (Car: 1984 GTL)

I had problems with the car taking ages to pump the fuel up, it would fire once then take about 30-60s to actually fire again. I decided to have a look at the fuel pump.

Inside the fuel pump I found a fuel filter (A small wire mesh one over one of the valves) ?!? Is this normal is this why my car doesn't have an inline one ?

Also loads of crud stopping the valves closing and allowing the fuel to run back.

Worst of all the steel base of the pump was really rusted and as I cleaned I found a hole ! (Will be welding this up tomorrow otherwise the fuel consumption will be terrible :p)

Its just a thought but if others have this problem or fuel starvation problems maybe, I guess you could remove the base of the pump from under the car without having to disturb any piping or anything and give the filter a clean. (Its held on by 2 screws for reference)

Also the leaking oil problem people discussed looks to me just to be a drain to avoid oil causing any problems above the pump (like hydraulic lock damaging the diaphragm). I guess also this is at a similar level to the oil level as since my oil has been a little overfilled the oil has been pouring out of it.

The small filter in the pump is normal. If there is that much crud being pulled up from the tank then that needs a clean out. If the steel base of the pump is really that bad then think about getting a new one.

My thought is wouldnt the filter in the pump clog before the inline filter does as thats downstream of it?

Rest of the pump is good so just going to repair the base plate. (The pumps seem hard to get anyway seeing other threads)

Pictures of the pump after welding, cleaning and painting. For anyone interested in what the insides are like (note black round thing is the filter)

• IMG_3137.JPG
    IMG_3137.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_3138.JPG
    IMG_3138.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3140.JPG
    IMG_3140.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 116
Back