Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Going 4 for the 1st time - Advice needed

Jon James

Hello
I'm looking to buy my first Renault 4 and am after some general advice.
My 4 is going to be my climbing car so doesn't need to be pretty or quick but needs to be a workhorse.
1. What models are good value or should be avoided.
2. Where are the problem areas?

I did used to be very into old VW's so I'm not new to old cars but the VW scene has gone up its own backside personality and price wise so I have been looking something a bit cooler and ended up deciding on a Renault 4.

Any other general advice would be good.
Kind regards
Jon

Are you complaining that nobody answered your post in 20 minutes?

The Buyer's Guide is pretty comprehensive but it does not stress sufficiently, for the benefit of those who are buying an R4 for the first time, just what a rust-trap the chassis is.

In order to keep an R4 on the road for an extended period it is really necessary to (a) underseal the chassis after any existing rust problems have been properly dealt with, (b) fill the chassis members with Waxoyl (this can easily be done by removing a few bolts and squirting in) (c) regularly check for rust developing, particularly along the outer surface of the sidemembers (d) preferably keep in a dry garage.

You say that the R4 is intended to be a "climbing" car. Bear in mind that peaty water (as found in mountain areas in the UK) tends to be acidic (the fact that it's often mixed with sheep-poo does not help) so this will increase the risk of underside rot.

The Buyer's Guide also does not state that the entire body can be lifted off (undo about 30 bolts and away it goes). This makes serious restoration much easier.

Mechanical problems with R4s are virtually non-existent. The engines are just about bomb-proof and everything is so simple it can easily be dealt with. The only problem with right-hand-drive cars is that the steering coiumn makes changing the oil filter fiddly (R4 was a LHD design). Some 845ccs have problems with restarting when warm due to the fuel evaporating from the carburettor (see Posts on this Forum). but as long as the fuel pump is good then it only takes a few more turns of the key before the carb is full again.

The Buyer's Guide is pretty comprehensive but it does not stress sufficiently, for the benefit of those who are buying an R4 for the first time, just what a rust-trap the chassis is.

In order to keep an R4 on the road for an extended period it is really necessary to (a) underseal the chassis after any existing rust problems have been properly dealt with, (b) fill the chassis members with Waxoyl (this can easily be done by removing a few bolts and squirting in) (c) regularly check for rust developing, particularly along the outer surface of the sidemembers (d) preferably keep in a dry garage.

You say that the R4 is intended to be a "climbing" car. Bear in mind that peaty water (as found in mountain areas in the UK) tends to be acidic (the fact that it's often mixed with sheep-poo does not help) so this will increase the risk of underside rot.

The Buyer's Guide also does not state that the entire body can be lifted off (undo about 30 bolts and away it goes). This makes serious restoration much easier.

Mechanical problems with R4s are virtually non-existent. The engines are just about bomb-proof and everything is so simple it can easily be dealt with. The only problem with right-hand-drive cars is that the steering coiumn makes changing the oil filter fiddly (R4 was a LHD design). Some 845ccs have problems with restarting when warm due to the fuel evaporating from the carburettor (see Posts on this Forum). but as long as the fuel pump is good then it only takes a few more turns of the key before the carb is full again.

Many thanks for that I will add the info to that of the buyers guide to give me a heads up before any purchase.
I will also buy a big pot of waxoil...
Cheers

there's an f6 van which was advertised on here just the other day, they're great (biased opinion, I've got one just like it!)

I too went from a 1972 VW Beetle which I drove in Cape Town, to a 1980 Renault 4 which I bought in France 10 years ago. I'm really happy with it. Plenty of headroom, just like the Beetle (I need it cos I'm 6' 4"). The engines really a pleasure to work on with a big engine compartment, not like the Beetle. I'm sure you'll be very happy if you get one.

I too went from a 1972 VW Beetle which I drove in Cape Town, to a 1980 Renault 4 which I bought in France 10 years ago. I'm really happy with it. Plenty of headroom, just like the Beetle (I need it cos I'm 6' 4"). The engines really a pleasure to work on with a big engine compartment, not like the Beetle. I'm sure you'll be very happy if you get one.

I had a few VW's, 67 and 73 beetles, 71 baywindow and 72 Squareback. The squareback was the best an estate with storage under the bonnet!
Looking forward to getting a Ren 4, think I will get a later one (GTL) bit more power for journeys.
Cheers

Various members of the Forum are putting together a Wiki on the R4. Still some gaps there, but it is steadily turning into an increasing and useful source of information. Have a look here:

http://quatrelle.wikia.com/wiki/Quatrelle_Wiki?&cb=7142

I was a Beetle fan for many years also. I found that it was all getting a little too overdone, too many nice stock cars being molested and turned into semi custom jobs, all a bit uniform really, and generally getting too far away from the core pleasures of running a classic car, and accepting and enjoying its quirkiness.

We've never really got into the VW scene, and apart from a couple of engine mods our 72 Bay is stock, no lowering and no fancy wheels. Still got its original Devon conversion too.
You are right Jon, the GTL is best if you have plans for a few longer journeys, the 1108cc engine is a pleasure to live with, and keeps up with modern traffic quite well. Hope you find what you are looking for. Regards Brian.

I think their is not much between the 1108 and the newer 965cc (CIC) engined cars.

I have had 4 GTLs and a couple of LHD TLs (956cc) and the gearing and general performance is very similar I think.

A late 845cc (1982 ish) car is also pretty good, if you can find a good one. Mine would pull 75mph on the level but was not as relaxed as the later cars.

My current 1991 CIC TL goes like a rocket. (A slow rocket).

Back