Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

good place to find a 4L in France?

51steve

Enthusiast
;)Hello everyone,

Seems like the appropriate place to introduce myself. (don't use that word in France!) My wife and I have purchased a ruin in the Dordogne, and need a good vacation car. Does anybody know of a good shop in the Dordogne, (or in France for that matter) to purchase a Renault 4L? I'm thinking that a 4L is a good choice of car, lots of room to put the multitudes of home improvement products, bigger engine than the Citroen 2CV, and less expensive than the 2CV! Not to metion, my wife has fond memories of the 4L she owned, ( before her brother ran it off the road and totaled it!) I'm looking through ebay and the other sites, but I like the idea of purchasing from a shop.

Thanks!

Steve

French classic car magazine "Gazoline" has a lot of advertisements, both from privateers and classic car dealers. Try this for start.

Hi
I have a 4 for sale but it is in Brittany
I am after 400 euros for it

• 133-3309_IMG.jpg
    133-3309_IMG.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 554
Nice car, shame about the name..

Martin

I have sent you a pm about your car - Please get in touch

Ian s

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh thats a shame

Martin thats such a pity, a lovely car being scrapped.

The trouble is in France to sell a car without a CT* on it is highly illegal.

*Controle Technique; equivalent of UK MOT but with bells on, but at least its every two years.

I've got a Volvo 480ES sat in my barn waiting for me to take it for its CT this August. I'm not looking forward to it I can tell you.

CTs in France

The trouble is in France to sell a car without a CT* on it is highly illegal.
quotes Pepper.
This means that I cannot sell my old Bugatti type 47 that has been in my barn for 20 years so has no CT? Blast! I have been offered 4.5 million euros for it ,too! Don't want to do anything illegal, though....

Just bought a 1992 R4 TL with 45000kms, ex French army. Not yet registered or CTd but with a polish will look to be in mint condition, with no rust anywhere! I don't know whether to keep it or sell it as I have so many odd vehicles. If I sell it will be on this forum.

Plenty of cars are sold here without a CT or with less than 18 months to run - 'dans l'etat' - the problem arises because the new owner is unable to register it without submitting it for a new CT.
We have done it with at least 3 cars in the last couple of years - the CT station never queries the fact that the name on the CG is different from the name on the cheque or the bank card that you use to pay.
Got to go through the rigmarole of registering an imported car again over the next week or so - oh joy :o but at least its something different, when was the last time you saw a C#####n Visa convertible?

I've bought & sold cars for people without CTs & it is not, of course, "highly illegal"!
To answer Matt, I have a 1944 GMC pontoon truck with 9 metre pontoon boat, a 2001 Peugeot 106 Electrique, 2 Peugeot Scootelec electric scooters, an ex French army Cagiva motorbike, an ex French army Hotchkiss Jeep, a boring Landrover Discovery, a Ford Galaxy, the almost as new Renault 4, 3 assorted trailers & a Volvo estate.
In the past I had an American army Reo 6x6 cargo truck (great noise!), a 1943 DUKW, an International halftrack, the list goes on...
My problem is that one cannot play with them all & machinery does not like to sit idle so rationalisation is necessary!

Rationalisation?

Hi Reo24, Welcome to our happy throng - we're here to help :) Sell the Bugatti guzzler and keep the frugal 4 and we'll help you play with the rest. We understand your dilemna ;) (I'll pm our Norwegian member Reidalpine 'vis a vis' the pontoon + truck since he's wants to invade France and set up a viking stronghold in Burgundy/liberate their wine lake.:) Have you visited the 'Musee des Blindes' heavy metal collection?

Back