Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Got a GTL for free :)

Quatrelle

Enthusiast
Hi all,

I was asked by a friend in a neighbouring village if I could do a small website for him and in exchange he offered me his 1984 GTL! I picked it up yesterday and it really is in crap condition but I've had four old 70's volkswagens so I'm not afraid of oldish cars. Surprisingly enough it started first time after an overnight battery charge and I drove it to the garage without any problems at all - I just love that dashboard gearchange!! She's off to get tested tomorrow and the garage owner reckons she'll pass with a little luck! She's done 175,000 kms and has got the worst brush-on paint job you have ever seen (apparently a previous owner got caught in the arms of a rival and this paint job was his way of hiding his wife's 'revenge'!). I may take her back to metal if I have the energy, or I may just run around in her looking like something from the ghetto... who knows. Just thought I'd say hello as I'm more than likely to pop in from time to time thirsty for knowledge.

Pictures of my beauty to follow - in my rush to drive her away I forgot to take a picture of her in the barn! Haven't got a name for her yet, but that's an absolute requirement in this house so we'll be thinking hard of something suitable!

Regards

Frank

The free ones are the best ones, especially if she'll pass the French test. That one sounds much more tricky than the UK test.

A badly hand painted one sounds like an ideal canvas for some artwork. Google image search is quite good for finding inspiration.

My two VW campers were emblazoned with giant daisies and strawberries :D respectively, so I'm sure I'll come up with something suitable. :wink:

The new name has been chosen.

Suzi (after Suzi Quatro)

Yes, I know, we're mad. He said, looking at a stuffed Tiger wearing John Lennon shades... :roll:

I have just been given a silver GTL, the owner offered me some spares then found he was loosing his storage so gave me the car with spare engine, 4 doors 2 hatchbacks and a pair of good bumpers. Its on SORN and was driven on to the trailer. I haventhad a chance to look underneath yet but the body looks very good under themoss

Well, here she is - just back from the testing station where she passed with less than flying colours but passed nevertheless without requiring a re-test.

I said to the garage owner "but she still has only one windscreen wiper... how could she pass?" He just winked cheekily. :eek:

Lovely isn't she? :rolleyes:

• suzi_home.jpg
    suzi_home.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 116
Beautiful car that's just had an accident with a bucket of whitewash. But a good combination as it will still be fast being blue but it'll hold a lot more with the white. ;)

I'm having a tough time getting to grips with this 'blue', 'white' and above all 'yellow' thing. This wasn't in the manual. Not at all. ;)

I have just been given a silver GTL, the owner offered me some spares then found he was loosing his storage so gave me the car with spare engine, 4 doors 2 hatchbacks and a pair of good bumpers. Its on SORN and was driven on to the trailer. I haventhad a chance to look underneath yet but the body looks very good under themoss

Well done! Like Clementine said, the FREE ones are the great ones! And you got it with a bunch of spares! Looks like you got a good deal there. Scrape the moss off, put it on your house roof and you have insulation for the winter. Who said having a GTL won't save you on your fuel bills!

I'm having a tough time getting to grips with this 'blue', 'white' and above all 'yellow' thing. This wasn't in the manual. Not at all. ;)

You'll not find that useful information in any manual - it's based on cutting edge research being performed right here on the forum (based on empirical evidence). We've spotted some psyco-physical effects too. Turns out it's possible to improve aerodynamics just by thinking your blue car is green. :D

Hmm... this presents me with a potential problem. Since I will be re-spraying Suzi after the rub-down of the century, I will really need a handy colour-to-effect chart to help me choose the best colour or colour combination for my new baby.

Does such a chart exist, and if not could some kind soul create one? :lol:

Back