Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Ground it somewhere - waiting for tips

Azazello

habitué
I have some problem with the electric system of my r4...
When I turn on the lights my fuel indicator goes to maximum and the dashboard light goes down, fog light turns on by itself (only the indicator) and some other indicator lamps do what they want.
I thought it was fuel cable's fault: I found it in the left corner, the orange cable that comes with the red one for the fog rear light. In that corner it has a faston, I de-connected it but the problem remains (only the fuel indicator remains down, but the other light do their usual ballet). So I de-connected the whole set of cables that come from the rear of the car, under the dashboard they come out of the metal and there is a set of fastons: nothing, the same problem. So I think it is not a fault of the fuel sender or fuel cable or anything that comes from the rear of the car.
It should be something under the dashboard or a ground connection loosening.
Even my screenwiper engine goes slow and do not cover the whole glass, so I think it is the same ground that does not allow all the equipment to work properly.
Do you have some advice to what I have to check once I take off my dashboard? Where are the ground connection to check?
The screenwiper engine also has a metal plate that makes an awful sound vibrating under the ashtray (I know it depends from that plate becouse keeping it firm with my hand the sound ceases.
I will tight it hoping to erase that sound from my travels.

Waiting for tips!

Andrea scripsit.

Giorno Andrea.First check that the wire-loom on the top right side of the speedo-console is fully connected (you have 3 wire-looms/flat-connectors that are pressed on to the blue see-through "plastic-sheet" at the rear of the speedo-console. If this No3 has come loose the fuel-indicator Will go to indicate full-tank................................. Chiao/-R.

I think I have only 2 flat connectors... I took away the speedo console, at the beginning of the problem, to change a pair of lamps and to check the contacts - I use a lot of contact-spray in the hope it was sufficient (I was wrong).
I will check the connectors again, but I am quite sure there were only two of them, because I notice the third unused on the console...
I go in my box and proceed to took away a few bits hand have a look before unscrewing the entire dashbord...
Now I begin suspecting of the screenwiper ground...
I hope I have only to find the right screw to fix the right ground and all will work again... I hope...

Andrea scripsit.

Dashboard is down.
Found nothing.
It seems to be that the ground for all the internal apps is from the screw just behind the headlight.
If I am wrong, tell me.

The screenwiper is a bit loose on the left side, I think it is the cause of the vibration end the bad noise... but I do not find the way to tighten it... It has 3 screws, one just below his motor and two outside, bringing the arms... I though I should tighten one of the former, but I was wrong. I do not see other screws or nuts. Maybe is the little gum disc between the screenwiper mechanism and the metal (inside the car) that is too softened by age? The other one seems in the same condition...
I am very discouraged... This was my last chance... now I have no more ideas...
I was not able to dismount the radiator console, too... the two little corners below are so hard to free...

Andrea scripsit.

Back