Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Has my Renault 4 been scrapped?

politeperson

The restorator
Does any one know how to check if a French Car has been scrapped on the French records?

I have a nice 4tl (1991) which I would like to take back to France to leave at our place.

It is in England on French plates (219 EBF 92).

I have had it in storage for 3 years, I think it has been in the UK a lot longer prior to purchase.

I have all the docs except the important one (The Carte Gris).

I spoke to our local Town Hall officials in France who were helpful and said that if I could prove it was mine and get the MOT(CT) I could apply for one over there.

However it has just occurred to me that it might now have technically been scrapped by the previous owner (Exxon!).

I would rather find that out now, before I drag it 700 miles!

Do you have a certificate of cessation with the registred owners name in it? If you do you will have to go to the Prefecture where it was registed and in very good French ask them,if it is not Epave you will have get the previous owner to get a new carte gris as it is not in your name,all very difficult and time consuming, Bon Chance.

Better off getting it registered here, with new plates, and then taking it back again. would be far simpler and easier here!

Quick MOT, a visit to the registration office and if you have no docs then they may ask you to take to be checked, 6 months tax and off u go.

Only things I can think you'd need to do for MOT is to read Malcolms headlight adaption thread (sort out lights) and swap the fog light over to the other side of the car temporarily.

Success

I did it, the car is now uk registered on an H plate.

It was definitely not easy though without a cart gris.

So to share what I now know with fellow forum members is to do it you need

A current MOT

A completed application form

A completed customs declaration

A letter from Renault UK on headed paper confirming the age of the vehicle from the chassis number. An email will not do, it has to be addressed to the applicant at the registered address. I got this by going to customer services and talking to a nice chap who sent it for free.

An insurance cover note which specifically mentions you, your address and the vehicle. An email will do if you include the message accompanying the attachment.

The application fee £55, and the tax.

The tax disc comes back in the post after 3 days, the new V5 some weeks later.

If you think this sounds easy, it isn't, it took me 4 visits.

My heart bled when they told me they were going to shut down the office (although seriously how they are going to process all the stuff I do know).

Well done! Just think that its still cost significantly less than a new cars initial tax that new car purchasers have to pay

This is very good news

Back