Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Heated windscreen

bantamallan

Enthusiast
The demisting on my R4 is not very good as the centre of the screen is clear but the area in front of me still misted. I am looking at the cost of having heated screens made, we need 10 or 15 to make it viable. How many out there in 4land would like to bring their car into the 21st century and clear the screen in 30 seconds?
Allan

You'll be lucky! - my understanding is that people buy Renault 4s because it's a cheap and fun option. The heated windscreen option is probably best sold when 15 members are looking to replace broken windscreens. :D Though I can be proven wrong by replies below.

I reckon the problem is in the lack of cabin venting. The screen does demist a lot better when you have the side window open a little to take out the moist air. Modern cars have a vent in the rear wing that lets the air out which helps for clearing the screen and summer cooling. I'm planning to try something similar in my Gordini, though a heated screen would sort the problem much faster.

I want one for my Gordini, we are using the Gordini 5 dash and having trouble fitting screen demisters. A heated screen solves the problem, just chop off the top of the 4 heater!!

I have had a price for the heated screens, GTL only. They are only £72 +VAT a very good price. I need 2 so can I find another 13 people to make up the min order of 15.
Allan

Lots of people watching today, must be the weather so can I ask again if anyone is interested in heated screens for their pride and joy, price is very good only £72 +VAT even VW Beetles are more than that!!. Think of the wonder of seeing where you are going in wet weather.
Allan

I've been asking around and have got a tentative 1 person interested depending on the cost of new screens from Renault. Though that doesn't get you very much closer.

What's the problem with getting the R5 heater vents working. Isn't there enough room in the R4 engine bay to get the R5 heater in?

We have tried several heaters but none fit well and all have problems with the hot air ducting. The 5 dash is deeper than the 4 so we have chopped a few inches off the top, result no vents. Still working on the problem.
Allan

Can I change my mind and add myself to the list? That would make 4. Might be persuaded to have 2 myself which could have us up to 5. A heated screen would be fantastic in the winter - this is the time to ask if people want one. Spend far too much time scraping ice off the inside and can never see through really effectively.

Come on 4 fans! As bantamallan has said, we'll be taking 2 - one for the Gordini 4, the other for his 1400 F6. If Malcolm can take another 3 then we only need 10 more to get some heated screens made. The standard 4 heater is good but nowhere near as good as a heated screen.

For the elctrically minded among you, you could even wire it up to a temperature sensor so it automatically comes on in cold weather. That would mean the most hi-tech thing on your car would be it's windscreen. Not many people can say that about their cars!

im picking mine up this weekend hopefully
i will be testing out the heater once ive got the engine running,although i doubt i will be using it this winter as its going to need all the brake lines replacing and a wing and a headlight,thats all i know of the the moment!
i will let you know then if thats ok,as im planning to use mine through next winter and the wifes old car had a heated screen wehich was brilliant in the winter

I'll second you, I know this is a very old thread, but if this were to happen again I'd be up for a heated screen for BB.

Thanks Pepper

From my other thread today you'll see that Derek (Renospeed) might boost number! He recalls Renault ran a batch a while ago - overdue for another! Especially with so many R4's on the move his year!

I do have a spare opaque windscreen out of the car. Other threads talk of approaching local class cutters to cut laminated glass from a template - do they mean local glaziers who supply household glass?

Thanks again!

Mine is so hot that me and the wife usually do our toast on it first thing in the morning, joking aside mine is superb and the heater blows really very hot, but it's nice to know that a heated one is that cheap because the one for my Land Rover Vogue is £320

Back