Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Heater valve

daviddb

Enthusiast
Salût!

I'm in the process of recommissioning a 1977 R1126 TL in Urinal White which has lain "between owners" for a while.

Next on the list is the stuck solid heater valve, stuck on cold that is, and autumnal mists are already on the horizon. I see ( I think) from the book of destructions that there knob is attached to some sort of valve body on the side of the heater matrix.

Any ideas if this valve is likely to be serviceable in any way once I've dismantled enough to get to it or should I girding my lions to the nearest scrappie? Presumably this valve might be unscrewable from the side of the matric and then there might be some scope in applying heat and cold and snake oils in the hope of freeing it off.

Any thoughts would be most welcome......

Top of the day to you all from the Pyrenees.

David

You could try to take the heater knob off and give the spigot a wd40 and a good twist with a spanner, if that fails I've got a heater from a 1980ish f4 with all the hoses you can have for beer near Carcassonne. Someone here will know for sure if it fits. Angel!

Once open you could jury-rig it ....

I would follow DaveP's idea and try and move it, I have found they will snap off though.

If you are lucky and it snaps off in the "open" mode I have then jury-rigged it by putting in a plumber's service valve with 2 pieces of copper pipe , jubilee-clipped in place where the joint is in front of the baulkhead. You just open and close with a screwdriver. Not pretty but it works and gives you a bit of time to get the valve from Dave and dismantle the dash ! (and his doesn't fit I have one you could have for a bottle of wine - wine is very cheap here so I`m not being stingy !!!!)

Beer or wine ; I'll be fine!

I quite like the interim solution ( aka bodge-ette) fall-back of a plumbers valve but I fear that as the knob currently rests fixedly in the cold position. From what little I know of the history of the car it could well have been in this position for the last ten years.

I shall have a gentle attempt on the morrow while the front seats are already out and I can have at the heater housing with ease avoiding any upsidedownness & will report back.

Thanks both.

toodlepip!

David

The valve is held on the matrix with two nuts. Spray lots of penetrating oil and leave it to soak, because if they snap, you will need a new matrix.
When you have the valve in your hands, first try to make it moving (penetrating fluid, gentle heating and patience!). This however is not enough to put it back in service, as now it's more than likely that it will leak.
You will notice that the movable part of the valve is held on the stationary part with a tiny grub screw running in a channel on the side of the valve. Remove this one and you can now separate the valve. It's only a matter of replacing the O-ring with a new one (10x2,5), and putting it all back together after lightly lubricating the O-ring with rubber grease.

You're a star! Thanks for the infos. I'll post a snap or two when I have it in my hands. Unfortunately today 'village life' has intervened but tomorrow is market day so I should have an hour or two to myself,,,,,,,,

regards as always

David.

(fresh and overcast in the Pyrenees ; cat siesta-ing in a flower pot)

Photos

Having been inspired by Angel to look at the valve I took one to pieces this evening and took photos.

The only problem I had was the grub screw which was seized and so I had to drill it out (from the opposite side to the screw-head). A simple self tapper should suffice when re-assembling.

• DSC00459.jpg
    DSC00459.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC00460.jpg
    DSC00460.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC00461.jpg
    DSC00461.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 129
Simon, I'm not saying you've got too much time on your hands but...

Still waiting on that '64, will give you a bell when I hear

Thanks for posting the photos. Always interesting to see :)

Yes the photos - just reminded me that I have a new matrix, valve and heater hoses here - must try and locate them in my shed!

Salût!

Well that all went smoothly enough thanks to the advice above.The offer of exchangeing spare valves against drinks will have to wait until another time - I'm sure it will arise soon. And refreshing to work on a Quatrelle where one can drop loose tools under the bonnet and for the most part the drop straight through to the floor unlike the DS where they lodge, inaccessible, invisible and irretrievable until the next engine out.

Left the valve itself soaking in WD over lunch and siest-obligatoire amd with the lightest of persuasions it all eased up and started moving again. Someone has obviously worked in this area before as the heater matrix was very clean for a 37 year old car and the small scre that hold the valve together had already had it's slot marmalised by someone.

Just waiting for the glue to dry on new foam strips where the heater ducting nuzzles up against the dashboard vents and I'll be able to give it a whirl on the morrow.

A couple of blurry snaps attached.

regards as always

david

(hot in the Pyrenees - cat comatose)

• P1010572.jpg
    P1010572.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 47
  • P1010578.jpg
    P1010578.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 49
  • P1010569.jpg
    P1010569.jpg