Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

hello from a previous lurker

indigo

Enthusiast
hello everybody, I've been visiting the forum for about a year now but have plucked up the courage to register today.
I would like to congratulate you on an excellent source of information.
I have had a love/hate relationship with old cars for many years, I have owned a number of unreliable rust-prone classics and my mechanical abilities are close to non-existant. I have liked the renault 4 since a student trip across France in one in the 70's, so thats the heart bit and as they have the all important rust factor I'm ready to go. On the more sensible side, before buying I've been lurking on the forum collecting information and ideas.
I had a holiday in Charente this year and found myself in a garage yard full of old cars including 20 or so Renault 4's but prices for them were high considering the amount of work required to make them useable ( i understand that some Government decree in France has the effect of making 2nd hand cars expensive)
So I'm still slowly looking and hope to buy a 4 sometime soon.
On the subject of mechanical ineptitude if any enthusiasts could bear the occasional learning visit in exchange for some unskilled help during restoration work I can be available on fridays and i live in Norfolk.

allan

Welcome Allan. Glad you've stopped lurking. Joining in people are most appreciated on here.

The Renault 4s aren't bad mechanically - they are simple and there's not a lot that doesn't last for ever on them with regular servicing, so just brakes and balljoints to replace every so often.

The rust is more of a hassle. For the longer term rust is the pain. That's why we have a sister website with a welding tutorial. Makes a lot of sense being able to do that yourself, and once you've mastered that the running costs are cheaper than anything other car I can think of.

Hello and welcome, now could you please go and post some replies on the threads so it stops looking like I'm the only poster round these ere parts ;)

On a more serious note. There's a mint four on ebay at this very moment, though I reckon its going to go quite high, and Bluebell has mentioned a car nearby too. Good luck finding the right car.

My friend and I nipped out for a quick drive in BB tonight and he was amazed how quick she is, far quicker than his 1098 Morris Minors.

Which mint one Pepper..

..Not the Fridge Magnet Renault 4?

I looked this morning and couldnt see one but perhaps I missed it!!

Paste the link if you find it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
4 on ebay

Thanks for the replies
I had a look at the beige LHD on the electricinterweb ebay at the w/e but I'm blowed if I can find it today.

Hi Ian the fours been taken off.

I was watching it and went and checked last night so I could put a link to it for indigio but it had finished early.

I just tried searching for it again but my computers having a mare.

..This is it in case anyone is interested..

Amazing original condition with absolutely no rust
Wax oiled with clear wax oil to preserve
One previous owner 77,000km (approx 50,000 miles)
Full service history drives like new
Spotless original checked cloth interior
Practical. usable, economical classic car
MOT and tax 6 months
This must be one of the only Renault fours left in this condition.
Although left hand drive easy to drive in UK because of it's size and easy handling
Everywhere you go people smile at this unusual pretty little car, a joy to own
Regretful sale due to having too many vehicles to care for
Any further information please ring 07973 830956
Select a picture

That was the one, nice looking! Bet he sold it for a fair whack.

new owner of beige TL

I
am a longtime 2CV owner and enthusiast but have always been an R4 fan also.My interest in them was recently rekindled when I bought a charming ruin of a house in SW France where 4s are still plentiful and usually rustfree but very battered. I was lucky enough to buy the lovely 4TL mentioned above last week and am enjoying getting to know another iconic French design! Rob

..Not the one on the trailer Rob?

..And if so, well done and lets see more pics of it and of your 'charming ruin of a house' near Carcassonne

beige 4TL

hi Ian
no , the ebay car
will try to attach images below though not sure how!

• P10001220001.JPG
    P10001220001.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 51
  • P10002640001.JPG
    P10002640001.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 51
  • P10002660001.JPG
    P10002660001.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 53
Well done - the R4 looks in fabulous condition. 2CV looks cool too. Some odd holes in the front grille - wonder if someone had something attached there in the past. Is that the original paint? Can't imagine how it could have been kept in that condition for 25 years. It'll look perfect in France.

Well done quatrellefan, it is a lovely looking car! It also looks like when you're in the UK you aren't far away from me, I live just the other side of Southam.,

hi Malcolm , yes the 4 is original - I guess it was just driven in the dry , I will smother it with waxoyl!
hi Pepper you are very near , I live in Lighthorne
Rob

You're no very far away at all then, I live in Farnborough but my workshops at Avon Dassett. My kids were going to the local scouts on a Tuesday, but they've had a grump about it and don't want to go for some reason.

Funnily enough this coming weekend we're having a Waxoyling weekend (oh what fun)
I've got my wifes Twingo, my Kia Sedona, Morris Oxford and my friends got three Morris Minors and a his VW camper to do. Don't think we'll get them all done and boy will we be sticky by the end of it!

i used dinitrol on mine
you can get a spray can that converts any small rust patches to a stable black colour and then they do a clear underbody wax
i used waxoyl b4 mind but the reviews and a product test i read a while back rated dinitrol products the best
also i managed to hardly get any on me as it was in a spray can
not donw the box sections yet just the underbody and the inner wings and sills
all with one can too!

Back