Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

help with optimum tyre inflation

zidan40o0

I bought this Renault 4L 1983 yesterday and I want to inflate the tyre pressure properly , the problem is that I don't know the optimum pressure for the tyres also three of the tyres are 135R13 and the front right tyre is 155 , you guys have any tips for proper pressures?

Thank you in advance for the tip.

Sorry, but I disagree. There is a safety factor involved and it could affect the handling. There is a lot of difference between a 135 and a 155.

Sorry for the long absence guys but I discovered that both of my front tyres are 155 (my bad) the handling problem was due to an inflation difference in tyres and nothing more , so what do you guys say? should I go with 26 PSI on all tires? although the rear ones and the front ones are different?

My tire-repairer used to inflate my tires till 1,8 bar, but I prefer the original pressure handling...

It's a matter of opinion, fabric manual and Haynes agree on low pressures, 1.6 in the front and 1.8 at the rear if I well remember, but someone prefer higher pressures, as in modern cars...
I do not know what is better, I prefer the car's handling with low pressures, but maybe my tires will be bad-consuming...

R4_5.jpg

An R4 has very little or nothing common with a modern car regarding weight, tyre width, suspension angles/geometry etc. So why should we inflate their tyres like they were on a modern car still remains a mystery to me.

I have a haynes manual gives no info on pressures just says tyre pressures are critical.I have a label on the inner bulkhead saying 21 front 28 rear factory detail ?

An R4 has very little or nothing common with a modern car regarding weight, tyre width, suspension angles/geometry etc. So why should we inflate their tyres like they were on a modern car still remains a mystery to me.

I agree with this. Every time I ask someone to check my tyre pressure I have to say at least twice 1.5 for the front and 1.8 for the back and they give me that pale look like what is wrong with this guy :D

High pressure tyres....

Hello Renault 4 Fans,

i have good experience with a tyre pressure of 2,2 bar. You have a handling like power steering and no bad influence in comfort and safety. Only road bumps are a bit more recognizable.

But everybody should try his favourite pressure...

Back