Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hennessey hot up kit !

David Norville

Enthusiast
I know a lot has been written on this subject but I just have a couple of questions before I try and source the holy trail of performance parts. I understand you need the manifolds to accept the Zenith 32 carb but are the manifolds for the Solex 32 interchangeable? Here in Spain both Carbs seem readily available new for reasonable money 80 Euros ish, which manufacturer is preferable ?. Also I read the rocker cover needs to be sourced from an 1108 Renault 5 mark 1 for routing the accelerator cable but on my 1983 Renault 4 tl the cable already goes through a bracket on the rocker cover, so will it suffice or is the bracket in the wrong location on my 4tl ? Thanks, there seem to be a reasonable number of Mark 1's down here in Andalusia so I am optimistic I can get second hand bits .

Both the Solex and Zenith 32 manifolds are the same. I would go for the Zenith 32IF carb. Spares are easilly available and it works well.

Solex made various 32 carbs. One is a de-tuned version where the throttle only opens half way. Another was fitted to the turbo and has the wrong jets. I would avoid Solex. Too easy to end up with a box full of the wrong ones.

The R5 rocker cover has a bell crank on top with a plastic rod connecting to a little ball joint on the carb. If you can get one it would be easiest, though it should be possible to remove the R5 mechanism and screw the R4 mechanism onto the carb perhaps with a little modification. I've never tried.

Back