I have been a car fanatic for yrs and at present have a
Gwagen mercedes 4X4
Jaguar S Type 3.8 1965
Citroen HY 1973 van
2 Renault 21s 1990
3mopeds french style
VW Transporter pickup
Massey ferguson 1957 821 Tractor
and I am just in the process of securing a 1984 R4 which for some reason my wife calls "Bartolo"
I know nothing about them apart from what i have picked up on the various website so look forward to chatting and reading
I am a brit living in the Beautiful Limousin area of France

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum (even if it did take ages for a reply).

You've got a lot of vehicles over there. I'm a big fan of the H van and any French moped. You'll like the Renault if you get a good one - you can just drive around and abuse it and it'll still try as hard as it can to please.

Thanks

Thank you for the reply I have managed to get a haynes manual from the haynes site so i will be ok there have been looking on ebay for parts and will start collecting, the 4 is a 1984 L i think and needs some work but the benefits of the french vehicles they dont seem to rot like the UK ones.
Overall its pretty good with a rust hole in the floor and a couple of bubbling areas along the rear wings seams it runs sweetly but wallows like a floating pig so new shocks in order i think. Apparently it was owned by the army and the chassis and underbody has been undersealed by them from new:)
For 400euros its a good start i think

Might be worth spraying some waxoyl inside the chassis members too - these things rust from the inside out. Also seam sealing any seams that aren't already sealed would be a good thing. A rust free Renault 4 is a joy. Nothing else seems to go wrong on them.

Back