Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hi

Myrtle

Enthusiast
Hello All,

I'm Myrtle, a 1984 GTL in White. I'm generally in pretty good order, however my MOT is coming up and I'll need a couple of bits. My owners are new to R4's and they reckon I need front lower balljoints and 1 headlamp. Also for some reason they want to fit me with a radio, and my roof antenna mast is missing so I'd prefer it if they can find an original one to fit, rather than cut another painful hole in my body......

Any suggestions anyone...?!

Myrtle

Welcome Myrtle, Not often we have an internet enabled Renault 4 on the forum - you must be a technically advanced model.

Even the original roof mounted arials required a hole in the body, although it is possible to avoid removing the cut out in the headlining by removing the headlining before fitting the arial. (the dealers had white plastic plugs to fill the hole).

Thanks Clementine,
Yes, I am a very rare web enabled Renault 4, I use a system Renault were secretly developing for their F1 cars in the 80's.....and I'm far cleverer than a McLaren!

Despite this I still have no radio aerial - I do actually have the original roof mounted base and wiring fitted, just need the wobbly bit to fix to it. Will probably have to make do with a coathanger......

I'm disappointed that Alonso doesn't keep us up to date with progress while he drives along - now I know Renault have the technology. I've always insisted the Renault F1 car is the spiritual successor to the Renault 4 and finally I've been proved right :D.

I had a look at a dealer fitted arial - triangular black bit fitted to the roof. Looks like a standard sized hole, so if yours is dealer fitted it should be possible to pull the yellowing plastic plug from the front of the headlining, unscrew the nut on the arial, then fit one of the arials from Halfords that look very similar. It's a pain to thread the cable but it would save the life of a coathanger.

Red and yellow and blue and green......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine
Although do you really want a red one? While the red ones are generally less rusty, bear in mind that the blue ones have more powerful engines, the green ones are slightly more aerodynamic so have a higher top speed, and the yellow ones have the most comfy seats and brighter headlamps. Avoid white ones like the plague.

Thanks Myrtle, I'm glad you are such a clever white car. I hope Clementine realises now that white R4s are very desirable! ;)

Bluebell said:
I hope Clementine realises now that white R4s are very desirable! ;)

No way - have you seen the trouble these white cars have with arials? and just wait until the telemetry starts getting water in it. Those white ones can be tricky. :eek:

LOL! you guys crack me up

Welcome Myrtle, don't pay atention to these 15th century racists, you're as good as any other R4, even being white instead of the superior beige.

Thanks Bluebell, I'm white and proud of it! Thats why more of us white ones survive, we didn't get this old by being dum.....

I now have a new roof antenna, 12 quid from Halfords. Fits fine apart from the cable being too short and is currently stretched across my passenger side parcel shelf until I find a way of extending it - what they expected it to fit I don't know...!

Anyway my telemetry is now restored and working fine....

I think Halfords deliberately make the cable short so they can sell one of their arial extension cables.

Back